AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: California Blackworms information

Default Re: California Blackworms information

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Can I ask if they are multiplying or just surviving, I have sent an email to several US companies as I cant get live ones in the UK, would like to start a culture if possible so any help would be great thanks.

I am sure they will be expensive as this is lab supply house but,,,

https://www.sciento.co.uk/catalog/aq...C%20Blackworms

The good thing is they can be easily propagated by mechanically breaking them into pieces..

You may want to search other lab supply houses as these are used in toxicology experiments very often.

Best,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Lol I had a fish that has not eaten for some time so got some of a chap a pre ordered £15 worth got home checked the bag nearly fell over 25 worms not even enough for the fish lol, what do you mean by mechanicly breaking them up many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Lol I had a fish that has not eaten for some time so got some of a chap a pre ordered £15 worth got home checked the bag nearly fell over 25 worms not even enough for the fish lol, what do you mean by mechanicly breaking them up many thanks
    Lol...These worms will mate and reproduce sexually but they also grow into new worms when broken into pieces.

Check outbthe articles by Dr.Charles Drewes...http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/...s/#Lumbriculus variegatus

he has all the blackworm info you will ever need. Probably the worlds foremost expert.
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

thanks for the info much app, I have had no luck getting a supply in US to export, maybe beg a US member to post me some over at my expense of course but dont know if it would be feasible or they would survive thanks.

You'd just about have to find someone here in the States who was traveling to the UK and could get them to you fast. Even here in the States they have to be shipped overnight to have a good chance of surviving. You'd have too look into the laws about importing them, as well. My nephew lives in London. He visited last week but has already left. If the red tape had worked out in advanced I'd have been happy to send a box of worms with him but it's too late for that, now.

If it's any consolation there have been many hobbyists who have tried to culture these themselves. One guy had a plan that sounded excellent, but even it did not work for him. It's a project that is much easier said than done.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You'd just about have to find someone here in the States who was traveling to the UK and could get them to you fast. Even here in the States they have to be shipped overnight to have a good chance of surviving. You'd have too look into the laws about importing them, as well. My nephew lives in London. He visited last week but has already left. If the red tape had worked out in advanced I'd have been happy to send a box of worms with him but it's too late for that, now.

If it's any consolation there have been many hobbyists who have tried to culture these themselves. One guy had a plan that sounded excellent, but even it did not work for him. It's a project that is much easier said than done.
    Thanks very much for your offer that would have been great but I am in Bonny Scotland so they would have to travel overnight again to me , think I will have to give it up as a lost cause , but would have loved to have given them a go

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789