AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Beef heart is messy

Registered Member

Default Beef heart is messy

Hi,

I have a planted aquarium (60 Gallons) with 4 Discus and some cardinal Tetras, Killifish, and corys. I feed them beef heart as the main meal and they love it but the problem that the beef heart is minced and it will cloud the water and spread in the tank. Killifish died and I did several water change and did some trims for plants and I found that the uneated beef heart stuck in the plants. Now, I feed them Cobalt Pellets but I want to feed them beef heart because they like it.

how can I make beef heart solid like paste. Anything to add to the beef heart ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Beef heart is messy

What does your beef heart mix consist of?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Hi,

I have a planted aquarium (60 Gallons) with 4 Discus and some cardinal Tetras, Killifish, and corys. I feed them beef heart as the main meal and they love it but the problem that the beef heart is minced and it will cloud the water and spread in the tank. Killifish died and I did several water change and did some trims for plants and I found that the uneated beef heart stuck in the plants. Now, I feed them Cobalt Pellets but I want to feed them beef heart because they like it.

This is an age old problem which is why so many here will advocate to go bare bottom when feeding beef heart. No matter what ingredients you add, you will never it make it so that your planted tank doesn't trap detritus.

I would suggest eliminating plants and substrate, or, if you really want to keep plants/substrate, then use pots for the plants and use the substrate in the pots themselves.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Naz

Another way of feeding beef heart that is not that messy is feeding shredded beefheart http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=salid+shooter
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Hi,

I add Gelatine Powder to my beef heart mix, which binds it all up really well.

Try to go back to using beef heart, it really is the best thing.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Your plants are not only trapping the beef heart. They are trapping everything. It's insane how much gunk their root systems hold. I found that out the hard way

Follow Carol's advice, been using it for yrs.

I also use gelatin in my beef heart mix. I used the King of DIY's Discus recipe and added gelatin to it. It holds together pretty well. You can actually see the bite marks in it. If you feed too much though it melts and scatters. There is a gelling product called Agar Agar that is derived from red algae that is supposed to have a higher melting point but I was not able to find it the day I made the food.

I am also finding there is a very fine line between enough and too much. I have it easier with the bare bottom and I turn of the filter when I feed them.

When feeding Beefheart mixes, You will find it cleaner if you "grind" it as opposed to food processors which really can puree it into a messy slop. Also before grinding, cut all ingredients into pieces and hand mix well. Flake, shrimp, and Banana are all great binders and good ingredients.

You want a Grind that is the consistency of hamburger.

At least thats how I used to make it when I was feeding it...I used to sell it here on Simply and it was considered pretty "non-messy" as far as Beef heart mixes go by my customers.

Bare Bottom Tanks are best for homemade mixes, if you have substrate you are better off with foods that tend to stay suspended.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishquake View Post
    What does your beef heart mix consist of?
    Just beef heart and sometimes I soak it in GarlicGuard or vetamins

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    This is an age old problem which is why so many here will advocate to go bare bottom when feeding beef heart. No matter what ingredients you add, you will never it make it so that your planted tank doesn't trap detritus.

I would suggest eliminating plants and substrate, or, if you really want to keep plants/substrate, then use pots for the plants and use the substrate in the pots themselves.
    I use active substrate to buffer the KH and pH and the plants help to maintain the water parameters. it works very well and I can skip a week without water change but the beef heart messed up the system

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Another way of feeding beef heart that is not that messy is feeding shredded beefheart http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=salid+shooter
    I didn't know it can be served this way. This can work with me

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I add Gelatine Powder to my beef heart mix, which binds it all up really well.

Try to go back to using beef heart, it really is the best thing.
    Is there any specific Gelatine to use? I'm afraid to pick a chemical Gelatine which can kill the fishes !
    Beef heart definitely the best thing. They used to shake alot

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Your plants are not only trapping the beef heart. They are trapping everything. It's insane how much gunk their root systems hold. I found that out the hard way
    They can consume those in the root. Actully, plants help to clean the aquarium but in little amount

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Follow Carol's advice, been using it for yrs.
    Who is Carol ? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I also use gelatin in my beef heart mix. I used the King of DIY's Discus recipe and added gelatin to it. It holds together pretty well. You can actually see the bite marks in it. If you feed too much though it melts and scatters. There is a gelling product called Agar Agar that is derived from red algae that is supposed to have a higher melting point but I was not able to find it the day I made the food.

I am also finding there is a very fine line between enough and too much. I have it easier with the bare bottom and I turn of the filter when I feed them.
    I turn on 2 filters to collect the scattered meat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    When feeding Beefheart mixes, You will find it cleaner if you "grind" it as opposed to food processors which really can puree it into a messy slop. Also before grinding, cut all ingredients into pieces and hand mix well. Flake, shrimp, and Banana are all great binders and good ingredients.

You want a Grind that is the consistency of hamburger.

At least thats how I used to make it when I was feeding it...I used to sell it here on Simply and it was considered pretty "non-messy" as far as Beef heart mixes go by my customers.

Bare Bottom Tanks are best for homemade mixes, if you have substrate you are better off with foods that tend to stay suspended.

hth,
    al
    Thanks man for the advice