ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Clout

Default Clout

The medication " Clout " has been mentioned several times recently on the forum. A few decades ago that medication was pretty popular in fish circles. It was a very useful shotgun medication fir external things. It was removed from market because it contains trichlorfon a type of pesticide . It was definitely not a safe medication to use but it was useful if carefully used.

I was curious what was actually in it and did some digging.
    I came across a Dr. Erik Johnson article on this very subject.

https://drjohnson.com/whats-in-marde...we-replace-it/

According to Dr.Johnson...

This is what was in Mardel’s Clout.

4-[p-(dimethylamino)-)O-phenylbenzylidene]-2, 5-cyclohexadien-1-xylidene dimethylammonium chloride –> That’s Malachite Green
    dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethel) phosphonate; —> That’s trichlorfon
    1,2-dimethyl-5-nitroimidazole –> That’s metronidazole
    Im a biologist by background, I really dont get chemistry very well so I can't confirm that this article is accurate but I believe it to be ...and it makes sense from having used all tbose ingredients before.

The article then goes on to alternatives and discusses how for flukes.. praziquantel is more effective than trichlorfon . I believe that to be the case as well. I think the only real benefit of the trichlorfon was that it worked differently than praziquantel. Thats helpful when flukes are resistent to prazi. The article is pretty interesting especially if you are not really familar with fish medications.

I guess the take home is if you used "Clout" in the past and miss it, you should be able to get similar effects using metronidazole,praziquantel, and malachite green. I eould not combine these agents though as we dont really know the concentration of each or if they had to be modified to work together. There are products that combine metronidazole and Praziquantel though.

Just sharing .. not advocating the use of any of these alone or combined.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Clout

Hey Al,

I used it a couple of time back in the day…. It was very effective but it was lethal to Plecos and Corys. I still remember when I used it for the first time, all plecos and Cory’s were laying at the bottom of the tank dead after few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by For100 View Post
    Hey Al,

I used it a couple of time back in the day…. It was very effective but it was lethal to Plecos and Corys. I still remember when I used it for the first time, all plecos and Cory’s were laying at the bottom of the tank dead after few hours.
    Yes I remember that too. im guessing it was the Malachite green component. There used to be another trichlorfon product out there call "life bearer" I think and I dont think it was as bad for plecos and corys ..it lacked the malachite green if I remember right.
    Screenshot_20231004_094931.jpg
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

Back then we didn't have the internet and for a lot of use it was hit or miss with types of remedies and diseases. It was mostly package labelling info. So, when in doubt, clout it out. Was the saying.