AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine *questions...

Default Re: Quarantine *questions...

HI Blue Turquoise,
    I get some meds here (metro, kanacyn, pipzine, )http://www.4fishstuff.com/index.htm cownload the catalog, then you can call and order (also have to send a form that you fill out saying the meds are only used for fish)
    Metro is  a powder, sold in bottles as pure metronidazole.
    I have purchased formalin at www.drsfostersmith.com

Also www.jehmco.com has some meds.

Panacur can only fe bought at a vet as far as I know.

Prazi can be bought from billman@citynet.net
    or from http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/Store.htm (also some other meds like flubendazole here)
    I saw one other source, now I can't find it.

hth
    Ardan :sunshine:

Hi BlueTurQ,
     Not sure where in your area you can find meds, but if you can find a vet to work with it would be great. hey can get you Panacur(fendendazole) and metronidazole( usually as Flagyl).  Vets that specialize in farm animals also  have access  to compounds related  to  fendendazole...levamisole and fenbendazole  are used to deworm sheep

I believe in australia you can buy Fenbendazole without a prescription. Chcek at any farm animal supply stores.. Even in the usa  they sell over the counter a  10%  fenbendazole -  gel based , and flavored with apple for horses.

hope this helps,
    al

Registered Member

Mike,
    What diagnostic lab do you use? And what specifically are you testing for.
    Just a question,
    Daryl

Its a Veteran Diagnostic lab at a Major US University. This is not something they do for the average Joe so I am hesitant to list names and address on a public forum. They mainly do work for major fish farms...Salmon, Trout, etc. They give you a total breakdown on the fish.  Parasites, Protozoan, Bacteria, Hormones, Steroids, and drugs or chemicals that were recently introduced to the fish. They also give you the cure or suggested meds to treat what ever they may have. Takes a lot of the guss work out of it.

Its not 100% fool proof as all you can do is randomly select test subjects.

What am I having them tested for? Any and all of the above. I feel safer introducing new fish and selling discus that I have a full breakdown on.

JMO

Mike

Registered Member

Exellent Idiea Mike

Brew, After that 6 week Quarantine is there a mandatory stay at Betty Ford? No wonder weve got all these beautifully colored and patterend Discus.  These guys are comming off acid!  (I know this is a serious thread but I couldnt help myself. Play through.)

Not JYO, But mine as well!
    Should be everyones who resales Discus! from around the world! many nasty's out there. I do this often Myself.
    you would not believe the things you find and miss. And it sure beats the battle of going to a forum haveing 20 people guess what you have and how to cure it! like they say put it in writeing! ofcourse if you own a microscope this will also help a great deal with the basics.
    HTH
    takecare'
    cary Gld!

Registered Member

Thanks for the good advice! I have an old friend of mine that was studying to be a vet... have not talked to him for a long time but I will give him a call...

Besides I am sure it will be hard to get them through Australian Customs, and that's if any US sites even ship to Australia...*sigh*

Thanks again! Can't wait for the weekends! Aquarium hopping time! BT: "Look at all the pretty little fishes" *;D

Registered Member

Mike,
    The reason I ask , my side job when time is available is doing micro and tox screens , in conjunction with a major vet school, and university. Thats why I ask , those tests you suggest are tough to pull off in a fish, unless you are just testing the water, very interesting.
    Daryl

Hi all,
     Anyone have experience with any of these services...

http://www.upei.ca/~fishhlth/fish.htm
      ........ http://www.upei.ca/~fishhlth/people2.htm

Canadian Fish Diagnostic Laboratories....
    http://www.google.com./search?q=cach...n&ie=UTF-8

just  curious looks like they can do some seriously tests there....

-al

Registered Member

How big do you all suggest for a qt tank? Would a ten gallon be too small if you are only gonna put 2 2.5 inch discus in there? And if you are gonna be putting discus in a tank with no other discus in it to start out a tank can you bypass the qt process, since they would be the first inhabitants...

Hi breed_beyond,
     that 10 gal is fine for that size fish, I like 20's  better, because they  accomodate more fish and really don't take up much more room.

If its your first fish in a tank, you can  skip  the QT BUT>>>>

the bigger the tank the More medicine and cost if there is a problem,  likewise if  there is a problem, and its a bad one,  you may wind up having to bleach the ttank and start over!

hth,
    al

Daryl, They are testing Live fish.  At least when I send them they are alive, and I can't just send them I have to call and set up a day when they can get to them. (appointment) What they do or how is beyond me. They fax the findings a week later.

Mike

DARYL,
    ARE YOU KIDDING? THIS HAS BEEN DONE MANY TIMES BEFORE.
    LIVE FISH WITH BAC PROBLEMS ETC.. BEING IDENTIFIED BY TYPE AND STRAIN. AND ALSO WHAT ANTIBIOTIC'S OR ETC.. NEEDED TO KILL IT!  EMAIL ME I'LL FAX YOU AFEW COPIES.
    TAKECARE'
    CARY GLD!

Registered Member

Cary,
    The part that is interesting to me, is
    "Hormones, Steroids, and drugs or chemicals that were recently introduced to the fish". The bacteria screens are not what I was refering to those are the easy part.. And the reason I say that is since I have done tox. Enviromental, blood, and whole body, screens for unknowns they can become very costly.  .As for faxing me one I have a good idea what they look like.

Daryl

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast