ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine *questions...

Default Re: Quarantine *questions...

I see your Point!
    And agree. Not to sure about that stuff myself. But once I did received a report on a discus that had high levels of formaldahyde in the bloodstream. stay cool daryl and keep up the good work!
    takecare'
    cary gld

Registered Member

Default Re:Quarantine *questions...

Has any importer noticed most of the red and Red spotted color fish were hard to treat and some might died without external symtoms during the quarantine period ?

To quarantine the fish without the proper source is just like playing a gamble.

Out of ten shipments for just one is enough for you to scratch your head , plus the profits you made from the 9 shipments will go into the drain,if you keep the un-quarantined new arrivals in the same building,no matter how clever you are and how tight your isolation would be ,adult fish normally no problem if they have built up the anti-bodies,but,discus fries will say bye! bye! to you,you will find they have sticky tails and hard to raise after separate from parents,sooner or later you will swear like rabbits.

I got bad experience twice and have no gut in attempting the 3rd time for un-quarantined Discus in my premise.also,I pity the hobbyists for wasting their money on bad quality fish.

Not just formalin alone in the blood stream,there are others toxic chemical that damage the gut,liver and spleen. during quarantine period some shipments you might not find any symtom till the onset of the damages of internal organs at the hobbyists' tanks.I used to sent for analysis at our local fishery and they found and told me.also,friend of mine in Australia has the same problem after one import from a well known farm in Malaysia,report was almost the same.

I got burnt by Discus on consignment,so,I am now only looking for breeders who can follow my instruction,but,I won't tell them too much,because they have no royalty,whoever buy from them they will sell and tell.as the trade secret I also thanks for people in the same trade of our region not to visit our farm. hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that's the way,Mate!

So,if you are going to import the Discus make sure they carry the first quarantine long enough before shipment,so,you don't have to pay freight for culls and un-wanted shapes to carry out the second quarantine in your premise,this way you don't have to close your door when customers visiting you and you sayh! I have just sold them out to somewhere,I will keep you informed when I have the stocks.I think this statement is very common to many hobbyists for they don't want to show they have sick fish all over the farms,this is normal for the prevention of hobbyists might tell the competitor when they visiting next.

***Quarantine and Quality control is similar to Shoalin Temple.***

Have you guys seen the movies" Shoalin Temple?
    when the munks wish to go out of the temple they must conquer the 18 Brass men,so,I wish dealers can follow this policy"Quarantine and Quality Control" before sales as to help the hobbyists to have healthy Discus and Hobbyists don't mind pay a little bit more to the dealers for the hard work done on your Discus.I am sure the problem of NEW and Old Discus problem in your community tank will have less problem.

I am sorry for this post ,no offence ,please.

Registered Member

Hi! everyone

I have a question. After quarantine process is done, how can I move the fish into the regular tank from QT, since the tools (i.e. nets) can not be shared with each other? ???

Thanks

Chien

Registered Member

ChienHsu,
    Be brave to throw them into your community tank with your existing discus,anything happen you just bring them out to re-quarantine the whole lots again,otherwise,you will have to waste your time in worrying the new and old's problem.
    If really have something happen then I will tell you how to fix it.

Chein,
    This is how I understand it! The QT tank after you have your fish QT'd for 4-6weeks should now be free of any disease that they possibly could be carrying from the lfs or wherever! That includes the QT tank itself. When using a net, I always disinfect it using boiling water it anyways, it should be safe to transfer your discus from the QT to another tank. Of course afterwards, disinfect the net again.

Registered Member

Hello ! Discus Newbies,

You can quarantine to cure diseases and kill parasites even up to a 3 months' period,but,it doesn't mean that they are save now,if your discus has never exposed to plague,they will never escape from it in their life time,so,I suggest the best way is to let the plague kiss and say Good Bye!

p.s:I realised many of you are tire of reading my post,but,I am here to make it the last,so,let's see who will be the first crown to post after mine,if you have never get the chicken pox before,just reply and say you are tire then we will understand,please don't be shy to stand out and post.

Registered Member

Is it just me or is anyone else a little tired of this guy? frank

Registered Member

Yes its just you :P haha ,
    question : is a 40 litre tank big enough to house 2-3 discus for 6 weeks ? i.e the quarantine period ?

Goto,
    Chicken Pox? Why always chicken pox? I have never had whooping cough, TB, pneumonia, meningitis, small pox, mumps, measles and the list goes on and on! So, I guess I should expose myself to as many diseases as possible (the above only being a faction of possible diseases). Tell me goto, have you exposed yourself to all the possible diseases also as you are suggesting to do with discus? Would it not help you to 'over come' those disease that you MAY get?

Sorry if Im being a little forthcoming but unless you can tell me what the plague is (that I have asked a couple of times now), I wish you would just forget the notion of exposing discus to 'the plague'. It is absurd, totally! You are increasing the risk of losing discus by a million times and most of us newbies are losing discus that are not even disease related, never mind 'the plague'! One thing Id like to see the prices for discus come down, not go up! This whole idea of exposing discus to 'the plague' will increase the cost by what, 5x? That makes a lot of sense. Now you have even less people that can afford them! Thats a good thing! :

Strike 2 GS.....

so,let's see who will be the first crown to post after mine,if you have never get the chicken pox before,just reply and say you are tire then we will understand,please don't be shy to stand out and post
    You are wearing out your welcome.

-al

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Enough is enough !
    GS ...who do you represent? I want to avoid your discus at all costs. Where I live we have a common saying about things that make us sick. It is : "I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN ATE BY A WOLF AND SCHITT OVER A CLIFF". My neighbours kids have the measles right now. If you havn't had them I now cwhile the a an arrange for you to get them .................

Jim

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Sorry for the spelling ...............I have to go throw up...... :P

Jim

LOL Jim! My sister in law often gets pneumonia and has had meningitis! I can also let you know if and when she has it again!

Registered Member

oh! let me count how many I have to response?
    yeh,I must inhale long enough before I can exhale all my heats out.

1) fcdiscus,
    Speak with no courteoursy,so,I must teased him impolitely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) Brewmaster,
    It is your failure for being the board Administrator to replied in such a manner,you know,you are just like an owner of a snack bar,how could you tell your customers to piss off when they are talking too loud in your bar,likewise,forum must have posters and viewers that come from different levels of people,blue collars and white collars are equal as long as they want to join in the discussion.Remember"Even a thief has his own characteristics" no doubt the majority disagree my method of keeping discus,but,you must let the minority share a piece of cake.if you only look high that will end up with a nickname of "snob"

3) roncra,
    How many times do you want me to tell you Plague is very similar to Chicken pox that we have it only once in our life time,discus after the plague its body automatically will build up an anti-body which is enough to fight off many common diseases,I 've never mentioned it can conquer all kinds of pathogens,and you twisted it to other human diseases.go back and ask your doctor whether Herpes Simplex virus can combat HIV virus? this question I asked many times,so far no body answer it.

When you consult the doctor once you are sick,must he/she has to take the smear and micro.check the disease which to him nearly everyday the patients come and show him about the same symtom? discus plague to us the old timers are the same,we normally treat our fish by symtoms except some unknown bacteria then we have to trouble our fishery Dept.
    Maybe to you as a novice when you see the Discus turn black you just called it the plague or black disease,similarly,if a country folk never go out of his village and just listening to radio said africans are black,what happen if an indian appear in front of him ?I suggest you buy a book of Discus Health by Dieter untergasser and read thru page 319 to 325 then at least you have a little bit of knowledge. I would say the symtom of Flexibacter Columnaris is different from Plague if you observe it carefully.

4) Jim,
    Why worry about your mis-spelling? as you already said enough is enough ! ,not necessary to re-post for we understand you have poor spelling,but,you tried hard to sneak in and post with your sincerity,that's enough!
    Regarding your neighbour's kid that is exaggerated,how could it be so coincident,especially while we are having discussion here?don't you think your friend will say you are a bush!t King?

Many people provide information on books and articles for fames and money,whereas anonymous posters provide it on forums for hobby,and yet we received the craps in return,it seems to tell us might as well go and fly kite on the bushy central high way.

p.s:I am from the lion city where you people visit to the AquaRama . Good Luck !

Registered Member

for gods sake ur all adults grow up.im 20 and this sounds all too ridiculous to me..just stop fighting and get ur water cleaner or something..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast