ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine *questions...

Registered Member

Default Re:Quarantine *questions...

Al,
    Another QT question for ya.

"When I first receive the fish They are dipped in methylene blue and placed in a tank that has salt at concentration of 1-2 tablespoons /10 gal. This helps them deal with stress."

How much methylene blue fo you use & how long do you keep them in the solution before moving them into the QT tank?

Thanks
    O.

Hi O

I do not use it. I have it for nitrite poisoning if needed.
    I think the salt and temp sould be enough.

Barron

Hi O!!!

It depends on the concenetration of blue you have. The dye is actually very safe for fish, so its not too critical... but take a look here for some guidelines....

http://www.petsforum.com/novalek/kpd28.htm

hth,
    al

ps... Barron... for nitrite poisoning... meth blue and salt are a great combo!

Registered Member

Thanks Barron. I feel using methelyne blue is a good preventive mesure, as well as heat & salt.

Thanks, Al. I appreciate the link.

O.

This is a funny thread ;D Now that the dust has settled, here's my 2 cents.

After experiencing some deaths in my quarantine procedure which was supposed to be preventive, I decided to just keep it simple - high heat and salt for the first week. Then, observation for the next 5 weeks or so.

If you have to do preventive medication, the one week interval between chemicals/medication as Al has stated, is advisable. Also do a lot of water changes and maybe put carbon in the tank to eliminate any trace of the previous chemicals and/or medication.

In hindsight, I believe it was a mixture of non-compatible chemicals/medication that caused the deaths in my quarantine tank, which could have been prevented with the WC's and carbon I mentioned above. Who knows?

this is a great thread to read and reread.
    Al has some great pointers!

I just recently got some new discus and used the prazi and tapeworms came out. I am doing the 21 day treatment to make sure all flukes are gone.

I also got some new oscars and had to use the furan 2 due to external bacteria. I did treat for hex as one started to expel some strange feces. they are now normal. They will also get the prazi treatment to make sure they are clean.

Thanks Al for the great post! 8)

Registered Member

Hi
    I think the height of tank`s position is very important for fishes like discus.
    My fishes in upper tank eat better than the others in the lower tank and their growth is better .of course they are more relax than the other.
    Although I think positioning the quarantine tank up to the other tanks helps the fishes to be more comfortable.
    What is your idea and what is your experience about it?
    Afshin

Registered Member

Al,

"7. externals parasite are dealt with using formalin , fluke tabs, clout, or potassium Permanganate."

I have a question regards to the fluke tabs. Do you use the full dose? and have your discus experience any side affect? I have read some where that the fluke tabs are toixc(i think) in soft water and high temp.

also does everyone uses the same qt procedure for discus tank mates eg. cardinal tetra and pleco?

Thanks

Jim

Registered Member

Make sure you don't use fluke tabs on the plecos, it will kill them :'(

Registered Member

Default Re: Quarantine *questions...

My QT
    They go into 20Gallons QT Tank, All equipment dedicated to this tank. I observe for first 24 hour. If I see anything specyfic I treat accordingly. If nothing I treat with Melafix and Primafix. Oh, Prior to placing in QT I give them a formalin or Methylene bath. They remain in Qt for minimum of 4-6 weeks.

Registered Member

great thread. thank you guys!

pat.

Arrow Where to get Metro - The Real Thing

Hi,

From what I've seen so far LFS sell metronidazole with additives that increase slime coat. From what I understand that's not an advantage at all. I've been purchasing my pure metronidazole from Rocky Mountain Discus, which is a great site/place/owner, for two months now because I had to do a cleaning. I would imagine Jehmco has it too. Yes, get the pure stuff. Check out Jehmco for the other stuff you mentioned.

Newbie, but learning awful fast,

Colette

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTurquoise
    Hi guys, Great topic esp for the newbies like me.

My totally newbie question is where do I go about optaining these medications? I am aware that my LFS has medications but they are mostly brand names and what not. I know that the chemist sells PP but what about formalin? metronidazole? 100% methylene blue? praziquantel? Usually all the stuff i have seen is pretty much mixed medications or broad spectrum stuff.

The selection at my LFS is usually brand named stuff from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals or Aquasonic and sold as brand name medications. Their website is usually pretty lame as well and never lists ingredients. Maybe i should look harder at my LFS next time. Do i have to go to a Vet?

Basically when you guys say metronidazole do you guys mean generally any product containing metronidazole the chemical or should I be going out to seek a bottle of pure metronidazole? If so then were do i get pure metronidazole?

Thanks!

Al that's some QT proceedure you've got there! I'm BOTH printing it and storing it. You've mentioned two meds I haven't even heard of. Now I'll have to figure out where to get them... and in what amounts?

If you were an overzealous hobbiest who hated last minute panic shopping, wanted to be ready for all common and semi-common medical calamities, what would you have on hand? Metro, Piperizine, Prazi Crystals or Formaldehyde, Dimetronidazole, Furan 2.....???

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your contribution! Colette

Registered Member

Al.. is this QT procedure still what you do?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast