ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine *questions...

Default Re: Quarantine *questions...

Thanks for posting this QT procedure, Al, it's very useful. A question on the levamisole: I have been told that this medication is only effective at temperatures of 78F or lower. What's your experience in this regard? Thanks, -Don

I have only been able to find in a gel where to purchase?
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Thanks for posting this QT procedure, Al, it's very useful. A question on the levamisole: I have been told that this medication is only effective at temperatures of 78F or lower. What's your experience in this regard? Thanks, -Don
    Don,
    I don't know where that info came from but evidence to the contrary is its used a pig, sheep and Goat dewormer which all have body temperatures of somewhere around 102.5 F.

Its also been shown to be effective in fish tanks for many species of fish in the treatment of round worms. Including cold water fish like goldfish and KOI ..
    http://www.koivet.com/a_levamisole_t...oi_wormer.html

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al,

I got that information from Charles Harrison at: http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html, where I am buying some levamisole. Here's what hetold me:

Discus keepers keep their water too warm for Levamisole treatment also. Nothing over 78F until it's over. It really stresses the fish and they are already in enough stress. He also said: Levamisole is the absolute best for deworming Discus, it is the only Nematode cure which doesn't have to be eaten and it kills the intestinal parasites from the inside tissues of the fish. No other medication will do that.

So, that's why I wanted to find out if you agreed with his caution about the temperature. Apparently not. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Don,
    I don't know where that info came from but evidence to the contrary is its used a pig, sheep and Goat dewormer which all have body temperatures of somewhere around 102.5 F.

Its also been shown to be effective in fish tanks for many species of fish in the treatment of round worms. Including cold water fish like goldfish and KOI ..
    http://www.koivet.com/a_levamisole_t...oi_wormer.html

Hth,
    al

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Al,

I got that information from Charles Harrison at: http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html, where I am buying some levamisole. Here's what hetold me:

Discus keepers keep their water too warm for Levamisole treatment also. Nothing over 78F until it's over. It really stresses the fish and they are already in enough stress.
    I am fairly new here but I would think keeping your Discus in 78f would be deadly stressful.
    ​Greg

Never mind found it on ebay.
    Coree

This is a really informative link on using levamisole.

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari...ydrochloride-1
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Thanks Yogi! Nice bit of info.
    Coree

Al or anyone else!-

I am planning to purchase 5-6 sub adults or adults for a BB 55 g tank from Discus Hans and am in the preparation stage of purchasing food and medication . I just bought Prohibit levamisole on Amazon.

1) What brand of Prazi do you use for your one QT treatment (I was thinking of using Hikari Prazi-Pro)?
    2) What are your recommended water changes given the one Prazi and weekly levamisole treatments?
    3) What specifically do you mean by a levamisole 24 hr bath- do you use carbon 24 hrs later after each treatment to remove it? and do you use carbon after the Prazi treatment?- if so, at what point?

Thank you for your invaluable input!
    Last edited by Nicolette; 02-22-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Hi Nicolette,
    I have not used Hikari Prazi pro, but I have read mixed reviews on it by others. When I use prazi, its pure Prazi.. you can get that at one of our sponsors here..
    http://www.kensfish.com/cgi-kensfish...antel%20Powder

You should follow the MFG directions on its use.

Personally I do large water changes daily on all my new discus stock so by necessity I have to redose daily after my water changes.

When we say a "bath" in treatments it means you add the medicine and leave it in the water for X amount of time. Then remove it by either water changes or carbon or both. I really rely on water changes as its quicker and rarely use carbon, but carbon will work.

Please note that the info I post here is what I do, its not hard fast rules. Theres many variations out there.

You should also talk with Your supplier as to what they recommend and follow their advise when you can.

You may want to read this...
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...es_intro.shtml
    It will give you the dosing of various medications as advised by Fish Pathologists at The University of Florida.

Also you may want to visit Discustoday.info and read some of the articles I put there.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'll buy Ken's fish prazi- didn't see it on his website. Thanks for the help!

QT bullying? If too few fish in QT, your thoughts??
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Is it necessary to conduct WC's on a fully cycled QT that is waiting for new arrivals ? Parameters are as follows :
    pH 6.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Temp 86°

If so, what % is advised ? Also, QT has all it's own "tools" so to say. I would think not but I don't know it all.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    QT bullying? If too few fish in QT, your thoughts??
    Depends on the severity. There are a few things you can do. Dropping the temperature to no more than 28C (82f), isolating the bullying fish using a egg crate screen/sponge sheet or reducing the size of the qt tank to crowd them together (again you can use a sheet of sponge in the existing tank).

Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    Is it necessary to conduct WC's on a fully cycled QT that is waiting for new arrivals ? Parameters are as follows :
    pH 6.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Temp 86°

If so, what % is advised ? Also, QT has all it's own "tools" so to say. I would think not but I don't know it all.
    If you've fishless cycled the tank and recently changed the water no need to do it again. If there is any muck in the qt tank then for sure you can, it won't harm. As to having a set of tools for the qt tank, it is an absolute must - if you use the same nets/pipes/towels etc then you may as well not bother qt'ing
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Paul,
    Thanks for the valuable help. That was a late night type and should've in fact read, " I think not about the WC, but I don't know it all ". One eye was closed and the other was looking for itself. As for the QT, it does have it's own everything. After reading from more experienced parties (Al, the NADA guidelines and so on) the necessity of a separate everything is essential in proper husbandry.

But while I'm here, let me throw this one out for anyone. If one decides to order from two sponsors with the same arrival date, can they all go into the same QT together ?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast