AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine *questions...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Quarantine *questions...

Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    But while I'm here, let me throw this one out for anyone. If one decides to order from two sponsors with the same arrival date, can they all go into the same QT together ?
    I would personally QT them separately as they are from two different sources.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

bullying very severe though, very severe, guess just risk loosing a fish? anyone else had this problem
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    bullying very severe though, very severe, guess just risk loosing a fish? anyone else had this problem
    So... didn't you read my suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    ... There are a few things you can do. Dropping the temperature to no more than 28C (82f), isolating the bullying fish using a egg crate screen/sponge sheet or reducing the size of the qt tank to crowd them together (again you can use a sheet of sponge in the existing tank)....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

So... didn't you read my suggestions?

terribly sorry on a device i missed it and thank you for this, of course egg crate ! i did drop the temp thank you so much for that to 82 and the QT is 30g and put some of barb cones in too, i believe its two males there used to be a group of four and they not used to being just two they are both pretty large too.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

If it is 2 large fish then egg crate is a good solution ime, they may still do the stand off at the ok coral bit but won't be able to harm each other.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would personally QT them separately as they are from two different sources.
    Thanks Pat. I didn't recall seeing this covered anywhere and figured it'd be good to throw out. As well, I just didn't know the answer.

If it is 2 large fish then egg crate is a good solution ime, they may still do the stand off at the ok coral bit but won't be able to harm each other.

got egg crate in today , the one being bullied is leaning pretty bad poor bugger ugh, they were not used to being in a smaller group and i hope he will recover. he looks dark and leaning quite severely i take it thats stress. i saw them bounce back from shipping fairly quickly but because shipping was horrendous…..put me RIGHT off shipping fish ! we lost 50% of the group they were used to being in (small group only 4 of them) and it seems to have taken a huge toll. i had 4 tall structures (Thanks Barb ) for them to hide behind but in a 30g tall tank not so far to go before you can be chased down. was THIS close to throwing all four in together because loosing another fish so soon would be awful. these are awesome huge fish, any loss is a travesty.

so thank you for all and any suggestions !!! i lowered temp, got egg crate, added salt for fins/stress (first ever time adding salt, im very slow to medicate being a beginner i do a lot of research and asking first and two or three really trusted people on this forum said salt her up so i did ) sparse light feedings, clean clean clean water, cleaner than my domestic discus see lol !

got large large water changes with exact temp water and its a new uncycled QT tank so im super careful to keep it squeaky clean.

lets see how they do now, sigh.
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    Paul,
    Thanks for the valuable help. That was a late night type and should've in fact read, " I think not about the WC, but I don't know it all ". One eye was closed and the other was looking for itself. As for the QT, it does have it's own everything. After reading from more experienced parties (Al, the NADA guidelines and so on) the necessity of a separate everything is essential in proper husbandry.

But while I'm here, let me throw this one out for anyone. If one decides to order from two sponsors with the same arrival date, can they all go into the same QT together ?
    They should not go together , and even more relevent...

George, DO NOT BUY DISCUS FROM 2 SELLERS AT THE SAME TIME!! thats 3 sets of fish to maintain separation on....its too many chances for a problem. Discus are not going anywhere.. be patient when you get new fish...theres no rush.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    got egg crate in today , the one being bullied is leaning pretty bad poor bugger ugh, they were not used to being in a smaller group and i hope he will recover. he looks dark and leaning quite severely i take it thats stress. i saw them bounce back from shipping fairly quickly but because shipping was horrendous…..put me RIGHT off shipping fish ! we lost 50% of the group they were used to being in (small group only 4 of them) and it seems to have taken a huge toll. i had 4 tall structures (Thanks Barb ) for them to hide behind but in a 30g tall tank not so far to go before you can be chased down. was THIS close to throwing all four in together because loosing another fish so soon would be awful. these are awesome huge fish, any loss is a travesty.

so thank you for all and any suggestions !!! i lowered temp, got egg crate, added salt for fins/stress (first ever time adding salt, im very slow to medicate being a beginner i do a lot of research and asking first and two or three really trusted people on this forum said salt her up so i did ) sparse light feedings, clean clean clean water, cleaner than my domestic discus see lol !

got large large water changes with exact temp water and its a new uncycled QT tank so im super careful to keep it squeaky clean.

lets see how they do now, sigh.
    Agree here with Paul... Egg crate separation...you can also add a piece of driftwood, or pottery next to the crate to give the stressed fish a place to hide should it not want to see its tankmates at times.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    They should not go together , and even more relevent...

George, DO NOT BUY DISCUS FROM 2 SELLERS AT THE SAME TIME!! thats 3 sets of fish to maintain separation on....its too many chances for a problem. Discus are not going anywhere.. be patient when you get new fish...theres no rush.

hth,
    al
    Thank you Al !!! That far exceeds the "hth" category. It was just a hypothetical question to put out to the experts. I have NO plans on doing any ordering of that caliber based solely on the two most popular constraints of both time and money (chuckle). As well my place isn't large enough for an SD expert to move in and assist. Yet haha.

I can barely keep myself together right now as I've just received my tracking info (fist pump) from Kenny. My whole QT set up is in place. Room, tools, cycled tank and so on. My female GSD is giving me a little 'tude since she's part feline and likes to bask in that room for morning sun but not allowed for a bit lol.

Thanks to all for all the wonderful help and pics will be up in about 27 hours.

Not sure how this thread got unpinned...But I just pinned it again. Its a decent discussion that spans years... additionally, you'll find mor info here.. http://discustoday.info/

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Since I saw this again I will add that ALL fish are doing great since my post after shipping bullying trauma even poor beat up tefe, while still has one blip on eye is clear, eating and growing, yey so ty again to everyone for suggestions and help

Just got new wilds in today, stressed but Im not I know what to do
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member Uncle Sam's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darwin

is it okay to mix furan 2 and general cure for QT?

Registered Member

Just wanted to confirm the recommended QT procedure from a few pages back. I've never de wormed and been meaning to for a while. I have 9 more adults on the way and they will be in their own tank for QT.

Anyway, if I read right I need enough Praziquantel to dose daily for 3-4 days
    And I need enough Levamisole to dose daily for about 2.5 weeks total?

I will do daily 50-75% water changes daily so nearly a full re dose daily...right?
    Last edited by TfnG; 01-21-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Real Name
    Julian

Al
    Someone said once that a smart person learns from his/her mistakes but a wise one learn from the ones others make. Although I am not completely exempt for mistakes in the past . I am following your quarantine procedures "Discus today" really close with some twist of course. I got a group of wilds from Johns snookn21 , they were healthy but a little skinny. The first day they went to clean water with some rooi bush tea to color the water brown , no lights, no food.
    I did a little thing different on treating for something specifics this time instead of salt or methylene blue I gave them an antibiotic bath for 24 hours of nitrofurazone as I saw some fin damage on the edges even on the cardinal that accompanied the discus.
    Pat suggest ammonia burn, so I follow her advice and went back to clean water and follow proper quarantine procedure. they are on week 2 with prazipro neither to said they are doing great eating like pigs anything I throw to them that is flakes, tetra color bit, frozen Mysis shrimp , my seafood mix " for my joy" and especially their last meal dinner which is your freeze dry black worms .
    Out of the four there is one that although eating stills remains skinny ( this is my Charlie brown ) nobody fault even John say are you sure want it? but I took it any way.
    eh it has to be a runt in every litter I guess and he is kind of a bully too, let see what happens we still on week two.
    Anyway thanks for great guidance and of course your FDBW something every serious discus keeper/breeder should have .

without wax
    Julian
    Last edited by Pardal; 08-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast