AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Pair about to breed

Default Re: Discus Pair about to breed

Not the greatest update but here it goes

Hmm not too sure where the 5 fry went,
    but I have a new batch of eggs = )

oh, it's been 7 dyas since their last spawn

brief history of my pair : 5 spawns in a row around 7 days apart from each one, then a break of over 40 days, (female had problems, ph shock etc etc) then now round 6 was 7 days ago and now onto round 7)

Raymond

Registered Member

Raymond,

Probably what happened is the Pair wanted to breed agian. So to do this the first fry has to be gone. So they eat them.

Bill

Hello,

I hope that's the reason that the fry were gone, but this time when I get to the wigglers stage I'll turn the airsupply down in the sponge filter,

Here's my breeding tank's current set-up:
    30 gallon tank, 250 watt heater, one sponge filter and pvc tube for the pair to lay their eggs on,

pretty much that's it, any other suggestions?

thanks
    Raymond

Registered Member

Nope that set up is probably what 90% of the people on the forums use.

tank,
    Heat,
    Sponge,
    Air supply,
    Breeding Surface,

All the equipment a Discus Needs

Bill

Hmm, not too sure about using an aquaclear is that for grow-out tanks?
    cause with the aquaclear the reason i took that filter off was because i couldn't drop the water level (without the waterfall effect from the aqua clear's)

thanks
    Raymond

Registered Member

Raymond,

The Power filters are a Choice. Some people use them some do not. You can go a very long way with Just Sponge filters and Frequent vaccuuming of the tank. I would use the aquaclear if you have it. Use it for the Grow-outs just make sure you use it in conjucntion with your sponge filter. Clean the filters on the Aquaclear oftend. Some people like to put a pre filter on the power filters lift tube and clean it evey water change. This Will lengthen the time between Cleaning the main filters on the aquaclear. Just keep in mind what your objective is. Keep the junk off the bottom and the water params good. using a Aquaclear filter should only be used for mechanical filtration. You can however but a cell pore slab with a sponge filter in the AC and Get the best of both worlds. I would not recommend trusting that to do all your biological as it could easily fail. Back it up with the Hydro's

Hope that helps

Bill

Here's a minor update
    56 hours since the spawn
    this time I do see fungus growing on the eggs that wern't fertilized, only about 10 wigglers (more like 7 let me count again)
    I'll have to see what happens on this round

thanks for the support
    Raymond

Registered Member

Raymond,

Great thread!  I read thru it last night and it was like reading a good book--I couldn't wait to find out what happened next!  Keep us posted with how this pair makes out--perhaps start a new thread with the next spawn?  

It sounds like the parents are slowly making progress.  I am crossing my fingers for you that you can get these guys to point where they are free swimming and feeding on their parents slime.  Perhaps the next spawn or two they will learn their parenting skills.

Keep the updates comming!

Pat

Pat

Hi,
    thanks for the support,
    I'm not too sure how many hours it's been but the fry are still in wiggler stage, should be free swimming though
    I'll update you guys here for now, then later I'll write a better looking journal on my webpage, still around 10 fry
    not awesome but it's decent for their 2nd set of wigglers

Raymond

Registered Member

Raymond,

These guys are going to get it down, I'm sure.  They sure seem active enough and certainly into breeding.

John

There's < 10 free swimming fry, 3 of them are still hanging onto the cage part, when they fry swims away the parents suck them up and spit them back onto the pvc tube, tehre's a few fry trying to follow the parents and a few fry that are lost, the water level has been dropped almost 1/2 way in my tank hopefully helping those lost fry find the parents better and the air flow has been reduced in my sponge filter

Raymond

oh just looked into my tank again, there's a few fry eating off the female's slime coat!! = ) good sign
    it'll be cool if they raise these guys up,
    I think last time I removed the caged and the pair wanted to breed again after that  =)

Registered Member

Raymond,

They seem to be getting it!

John

While on the topic of breeding, I noticed in my 48 gallon discus tank that the rams (part of the bottom cleaning crew) were attacking my discus, upon further inspection it was because they had laid eggs themselves = ) and were gaurding them = )

About my discus pair: there's 10 lost free swimming fry, sometimes they're with the parents sometimes scattered throughout the tank, I've dropped the water level to around 1/2 mark (or to where the filter tube on the sponge filter can keep working) next time spawn i'm going to do a few things different, 1) no cage 2)cutting the air intake tube to 1/2 on my sponge filter

that's all for today's update
    Raymond

Is it too late to buy a smaller Sponge filter?

I believe the heights of all the hydro sponge filters including the air intake tube are the same? just the diameter of the sponges? or do u mean a completely different brand of sponge filter?

Raymond

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast