AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ****JIM E QUARLES*****

Default Re: ****JIM E QUARLES*****

I didn't know Jim and never even had a conversation with him.....but came to respect him for various reasons. He always spoke his mind, and for what it's worth, I respect that.  To lean on your own personal wisdom, and share it with others regardless of what they think, is a beautiful thing.

Jedd

VEry nicely written Chad.....as much as Jim was a tad abrasive at times.....he had a kind and helpful side to him and was good to alot of people. He definitiely had charachter....and definitely peaked peoples interests  .
    I admire him most for his determination and he always had a ton of projects going and never gave up. I also got a kick out of his sky diving and ultra flight lessons. He was right ...mays well live and take risks....as you never know when it will all end. I think he thoroughly enjoyed this and gave him great satisfaction!
    I got a kick out of also. too bad we didnt get to see a pic of Jim flying about !

i believe that the real jim quarles was exposed just a short while ago, in a thread on jedd's a couple of weeks ago. the question was 'Mentors' anyone got one? among the responses were:

Hi Darcy,

good question... i wasnt here when it was asked but I do have a couple mentors.... I would have to say Jim Quarles would be my number one mentor.... this guy always was available when i needed help, always went the extra mile. Jim would come over help me build racks and central systems... he took me to meet all the pros like Bing Seto, Dick Au, and fairy lake discus. Took all day!!  Just wanted to share... I hope one day I will be able to return the favor to the hobby. Jim is and always will be a friend as well as a mentor.

Chad'

'No matter how long you have been around someone preceeded you. My mintors were many, Jack Wattley, Dr. Axelrod, Dr. Schmit Folke, Dirk Schlingmann, Don Dewey of F.A.M.A and others.  
     I hope the ideal of having mintors will always remain for it is the golden aspect of this hobby.

Best of luck to all. And take time today to answer a question for someone.

Jim'  

if there were one single attribute that i will remember jim for, it was for helping people not make the same mistakes that he had made learning to keep discus, and to show them how easy keeping discus could be. of course he couldn't spell either, but when you see something that he wrote, you KNEW if was written by him. i knew him from the forums and from e-mails that we often shared. i also knew him to have been a generous and kind person, and will remember him always. imo, the 'mentors' thread showed jim for who he always was.

rick

Registered Member

Hi all,
    Rick, great point on your post!  We should all "pay it forward"!

Steve

Just say his Name! And He will live!  

JIM E QUARLES

Rest In peace my friend!
    Gld + family

I was away when Jim passed away and just found out about it today. Even though Jim and I had our differences, I never wish bad things on people. My wife and I send our condolences to Jim's family and friends.

I hadn't been reading the forums so I missed this.

I was very sorry to hear about Jim's passing. I had the good fortune to know Jim and discuss Discus with him on many an occasion.

Hearing of his passing was indeed sad news.

Registered Member

have just returned from the hospital in tulsa to find this, as all, i am beside myself. Jim Quarles was a great help in my learning years. my most sincere condolences to his patient wife, and family.  he shall be missed, but not forgotten.
                                   craig grimmer

Registered Member

Sorry for the belatedness, I am new to discus keeping and I had just baught one of Jim's books which I thought was fantastic. I am totally beside my self. to me the man will always remain immortal in his words of wisdom and has inspired me to do better.

I am a total stranger to Jim and his family but I want to express my wife and I's sincere condolences for I lost my grandmother to a stroke late last year and the pain and emtiness one feels for a lost family member is overwhelming. The best thing to do I've found, is live on in their memory, quoting their words, heading their teachings. As long as we never forget, we make them immortal in our hearts and minds.

I for one will always see Jim as a mentor...

Default Re:****JIM E QUARLES*****

Hi folks,

Until recently I had not been "in-the-thick" so to speak, regarding the Discus community. As time permits, I've been enjoying slowly catching up on the wealth of information available throughout this forum.

This morning when I cam upon this thread, I was quite shocked. As old as this news is, it comes to me with the same impact as if it had just taken place.

When I first began learning about Discus, I soon found myself in touch with a number of great people immersed in the hobby, some of whom are responsible for making this forum so great. One of those people was Jim Quarles.

To say that Jim was a character is an understatement. He often enjoyed goading people, laying out his bait for the unsuspecting poster. At times people took offense to his remarks, misconstrued them, and often missed his wit, while others simply took it all in stride.

From my experiences with Jim, it became obvious that he was someone with a big heart. He was a wealth of information, not only for Discus hobbyists, but in general. He was always enthusiastic, and willing to answer any of my questions. I still remember how excited I was when I mentioned I was having a hard time finding one of his books and he offered to send me one.

I always looked forward to his posts, and am saddened to hear of his passing. Best wishes to all of his family, and a final thank you to Jim. You are missed.

Howie

Registered Member

My guess, due to recent developments, poor Jimmy is spinning like a top in his grave. A tribute dishonored. Frank

Classy Frank.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Frank I ahte to disagree but you do not know what you speak....

-john

Registered Member

Whatever truth seems to float your boat John- all of us who knew Jim- know the truth. Frank

Registered Member

I sure do really wish now that I knew the fella :-[

Jean ;D 8)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123