AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New guy from Western New York

Registered Member

Default New guy from Western New York

Hello everyone, I'm Ricky. I live in West Seneca, which is just outside Buffalo, NY. I've had fish tanks since I was a little boy. I currently have a 55g aquarium that I'm turning into brackish water right now for my puffer fish. Discus just peaked my interest, they look beautiful. I will like to have another 55g aquarium just for discus when I get the knowledge I need. I don't know anything about them, only that they are very hard to keep and very expensive... not a good combination for the inexperienced.
    Anyway, is good to have found your forum and hope to learn a ton and make new friends.

-Ricky

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: New guy from Western New York

Hi Ricky,Welcome to SimplyDiscus, To all newcomers to this site and this hobby, I recommend to go through the stickies’ in the Beginners Section and watch this video https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8 it is about an hour and half long but worth hours of information
    P.S. A must read thread form the beginner's section http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
    After this if you have questions feel free to post them and I sure someone will help you out.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Thank you Akili, the video and the article were great. Just what I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by rickyNY View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm Ricky. I live in West Seneca, which is just outside Buffalo, NY. I've had fish tanks since I was a little boy. I currently have a 55g aquarium that I'm turning into brackish water right now for my puffer fish. Discus just peaked my interest, they look beautiful. I will like to have another 55g aquarium just for discus when I get the knowledge I need. I don't know anything about them, only that they are very hard to keep and very expensive... not a good combination for the inexperienced.
    Anyway, is good to have found your forum and hope to learn a ton and make new friends.

-Ricky
    Welcome Ricky. The information available to you here as well as support of the members is invaluable for a new discus keeper. From one newbie to another don't be intimidated. Discus are not as hard to keep as it may seem. Proper education is KEY. If you have done all your research and utilized the resources here discus are very enjoyable. They take lots of work no doubt. They require a significant commitment on your part but as long as you understand and provide proper care you will have an enjoyable experience..

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome from one NYer to another !!

All discus really require is care and dedication and routine. They aren't so hard if you put the effort in. The issue is most people want to care for their fish and all pets for that matter with minimal effort. That set it and forget it mentality.

You have to care, you have to know these fish need extra care and then you have to do the work needed to get there.

If you care and change your water and feed a variety nd food you will find them very rewarding

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Ricky and welcome to Simply. Read all you can here on the forum and ask lots of questions. I would suggest a 75 for your first discus tank vs a 55. More wiggle room for the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening