AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mysis Shrimp-Natural History and as fish food.......

Default Re: Mysis Shrimp-Natural History and as fish food.......

Thanks Al,

I ended up ordering some that same day and I know my fish will eat them easily. These fish eat everything, literally...

Has anyone tried Ocean Nutrition Frozen Mysis shrimp? I got a pack from Drs Foster sale. According to the website, it's mysis relicta, but to me it looks the same size as the hikari mysis shrimp, which is known to not be mysis relicta.

I decided to get the cheaper Ocean Nutrition to see if my discus would eat it (they loved it, just like they love Hikari's), and I was going to buy PE mysis later on. But I think PE mysis =! ON mysis ...

Does anyone know?

Sorry to bring an old thread to life but just thought I'd share that I found some PE Mysis lately and gave it a try. Though my discus don't like as much as FBW they took pretty well to it. Good to add another alternative food that seems to have some good nutrition.

I tried Hikari frozen Mysis a few days ago and it gave all my fish sore butts ? Has anyone experienced discus with protruding anus after introducing new food ??
    92g. Corner Tank, Sump, Bio-wheel, 4 trickle tray system. 6 Assorted 4-7in. Domestics. 29g QT.

bump
    92g. Corner Tank, Sump, Bio-wheel, 4 trickle tray system. 6 Assorted 4-7in. Domestics. 29g QT.

bump again.. anyone ?

Judging by the responce I'd say it's noy a common occurance. I've never had it happen but my discus won't eat Mysis Shrimp. Are all the fish having this reaction? Pics would help too.

Kacey

yep.. they all ate some and the next day they had butt problems.. like a nodule sticking out a little bit... I'll try to post some pics tonight. Thanks

Registered Member

Add some epson salt.Great lax for fish.

Registered Member

My discus just throw mysis shrimp out of their mouth and do not see to eat them.
    Any particular brand you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by amityadav View Post
    My discus just throw mysis shrimp out of their mouth and do not see to eat them.
    Any particular brand you are using?
    Fresh water Mysis are best, IMO and IME... "PE Mysis" are a good choice. Understand though not all discus will take to them...I have had some that loved them, and others that wanted nothing to do with them.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by korbi_doc View Post
    Wow! Al , good job!! even a great bibliography! I tried Hikari frozen mysis sh. but my discus do not like them, won't even try, just watch them drop to bottom.
    I too have the same problem. I have hold food for a week still they suck them in and spit them out. I have had every other fish eat them with gusto, I just thought that maybe the skeleton gave Discus to much trouble.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Fresh water Mysis are best, IMO and IME... "PE Mysis" are a good choice. Understand though not all discus will take to them...I have had some that loved them, and others that wanted nothing to do with them.

hth,
    al
    I've experienced this also. Some devour it some don't. A few want it over anything else i feed. A few won't look at it. Still working on these few to convert over. The discus that do consume it are so active and many are looking to breed after eating it a few days. Hikari also sells this now if not already mentioned..a bit cheaper too in the large 40oz flatpacks

Would love to hear more peoples experience with feeding freshwater mysis!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEangler View Post
    Hikari also sells this now if not already mentioned..a bit cheaper too in the large 40oz flatpacks

Would love to hear more peoples experience with feeding freshwater mysis!
    Al stated earlier in the thread that hikari is a different species and might be a saltwater species. They are much different in nutrition less if everything that the cold FW species has in spades.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Al stated earlier in the thread that hikari is a different species and might be a saltwater species. They are much different in nutrition less if everything that the cold FW species has in spades.
    Yes, Al's info on the hikari product was correct when he quoted it in 2007. That's all hikari offered at the time was the saltwater type of mysis. In the last several years, hikari has been selling the same mysis relicta as the PE brand which comes from lake Okanagan. The hikari are processed a bit different and are a smaller in size in general, but they are the same species. The hikari imo are easier for discus to eat because of the slight size difference.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast