AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope for planted people/Terry Fairfield

Registered Member

Default Re:Hope for planted people/Terry Fairfield

Hello plant people. I have had a 45g tank heavily planted for 6 months. It is doing great. I had to try alot of different plants. Some just cant stand the heat. I love having a perfect eco system. I only use a fluval filter and no additional air pump. Including providing oxygen for the fish it gives my discus a great place to go relax in my community tank

Registered Member

Over here in the UK, bare tanks are a no no. Especialy to one credited writer on Cichlids. None of her tanks are BB. All are gravel bottom, some have piles of rotting leaves in the tanks for the s/a's. Her favourites are the rift cichlids.
    when I was told that discus do better in a BB tank, I thought "BOG OFF" Fish tank with no gravel or plants, whats the point of that one then? Then I tried it. Next time I grow out Discus from 2" they will be in a bb from the start for approx 10 months then put into a planted tank. Discus don't need to be kept in a bb all their life IMO, but I think mine would be bigger if I had done the above.

Ivan....my hero! LOL.
    see Don....Ivan is my bud....and he wants to grow his discus out in a bare bottom.
    good ivan stay on the bb side with me....don is from the dark side and trying to sway me over there with him.
    he even went so far as to send me plants in the mail!!

Registered Member

April, when are you going to post pictures of your planted guppy tank? We are still waiting.

Registered Member

April, I'm kinda teetering on the edge. I have a planted tank, just no discus in it. i'm planning to set up my main tank for my discus. I will allways grow out young fish in a bb, but they wont ever stay in one for ever amen.

Don_Lee

You cannot resist the lure of the dark side!!!

Don ;D

we'll see don..id rather spend money on fish than fancy smancy lights!!

Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm a plant-head who's beginning to get interested in discus. After seeing the condition of my fish in planted vs. non planted aquaria and seeing Walter's tanks (see above post in thread) I'll never go unplanted again!

Registered Member

Default Discus and Plants

Discus and Plant People!
    Anyone using the Dupla Undergravel Heaters? Do plants help stabilize the chemistry in your tanks? Last question: I understand CO2 injection raises the ph in a tank . Good for the plants bad for the Discus. Anyone care to elaborate? I'm new to this.

Thanks,

Prewitt

Registered Member

Hey Prewitt,
    Those are short questions but unfortunately they have long complicated answers (complicated at least to me).
    Here is my best shot:
    CO2 actually lowers pH, in fact if you have a low buffer, you can actually crash your tank, which is even worse than it sounds. CO2 injection can also deprive your fish of O2 if done incorrectly, that's a bad thing too. Now that I've scared you, it is not hard to avoid these situations and with CO2, you can turn your planted tank into a show tank.
    Undergravel heaters (I don't have one due to cost) are great for providing water flow through the substrate (good for the plants and for preventing anaerobic bacteria). They also give your plants what they call warm feet, similar to what they get in the wild.
    The last question is really a tough one. I would say in general that plants do stabilize tank chemistry. With light, they are constantly absorbing nitrogen compounds, CO2, minerals, etc. and give off a O2. Having this ongoing activity would help stabilize nitrogen levels, O2, pH, and toxins.
    How much is another question. At this point in time at least, we have to rely on filters and water changes to provide good water parameters.
    Great questions, I hope I did them justice.

Registered Member

Thanks Ralph!
    Sorry about the indepth question. Still studying all the parameters of setting up a planted Discus tank before I jump in. I think as long as my plants have sufficient light and fertilizer I should be okay. Definitely want to do the Dupla though.

Prewitt

Registered Member

Prewitt,

Check out George Booth's website http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/

He's one of the Old School masters of the Dupla style planted discus tanks.

To expound on what Ralph was saying about CO2 and pH. The other factor in the CO2 triangle is KH or Carbonate Hardness. It's a measure of your tank's pH buffering capacity. With plants you want to keep a KH of 3 or 4 dKH. This will give enough buffer to your water to keep the pH pretty stable in the event of a sudden dumping of gas.

Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) is good for upping your KH. Just keep in mind that the higher your KH the more CO2 you'll need to add to attain the desired levels. 3-4 dKH is the best as it's easy to attain and doesn't require large amounts of CO2 to keep the right levels.

Keep in mind that a 24hr cycle of .2 pH is normal as plants put out CO2 when the lights are out. My tank fluctuates between 6.2 when the lights come on to 6.4 at lights out 12 hrs later.

Check out www.sfbaaps.com for some really good planted aquarium resources. Tom Barr's information is especially good...and don't forget Aquatic Concepts.

Registered Member

Thanks!
    Been to George Booth's website. I'll check out the others. I don't want to be fanatical with plants, or fish either for that matter, but I want to give them both the best start possible. Duplarit sounds promising although I'm not sure how well it works if you are vacuming the bottom of your tank. I know it is basically buried.
    Lets just say the last time I did anything with aquariums I was using a Supreme Aqua-king filter. Follow me?

Registered Member

George did go the route of the fanatic on his tanks..I'll give you that. But who can argue with success? [Duplarit] Laterite is for the bottom layer of your substrate only and shouldn't ever be sucked up. Contrary to much of the popular conceptions one doesn't want to get overzealous with syphoning the substrate in a planted aquarium. A surface "scan" will do to keep up appearances and leave it at that.

I use Laterite mixed with pool filter sand under Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil aka "Profile" and it works very well. If you're willing to fork out a few extra bucks on your substrate Flourite is the One Stop "Fire and Forget" substrate. It's not exactly cheap, but it's all you'll ever need for a planted aquarium. I believe Wahter wrote a post comparing different substrates..that'd be a good place to start.

Even if you don't become a fanatic like me it's important to keep a holistic view of your aquarium as a complete system. Everything you do to one thing affects all the others and with plants some changes can lead to serious algae problems. Even so, there is no more rewarding thing in aquarium keeping than knowing you can keep a whole ecosystem flourishing rather than just fish. Fish are easy, aquariums are the challenge.

Registered Member

Nice little thread here....I would say it's the reefkeeping equivalent to "skimmer(a.k.a. foam fractionator) vs. skimmerless."

I have a somewhat similar thread running in the general forum("Nature vs. Nurture&quot and my basis for the whole thought process was people saying that planted tanks get too "dirty" for healthy discus. Granted, there are millions of gallons of water flowing by in a discus habitat, but there is still quite a bit of muck in those rivers. Have you ever seen a blackwater stream? It is literally covered with leaf litter. Blackwater streams and rivers themselves are caused by rotting and decaying vegetation...can it really be that detrimental to the health of these fish?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12