AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas, USA

Registered Member

Default Re:Texas, USA

;D Hi everyone,

My name is Dennis and I am in Houston, Tx. I have had fish most of my life. My fish interest over the past decade has been reef keeping and some african cichlid keeping. I have finally decided to add discus to the collection. Looking for all the info I can find and any local breeders. I would love to see some of your set ups and get suggestions on mine.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Dennis I live about 40 miles East of Dallas. I have a small hatchery running and it seems I know just about everyone. You are welcome to visit at any time. The Texas Cichlid Society will be having a meeting at my house on 3/15. Everyone is invited and I may offer some special prices for new members. If you need anymore info please ask.

-john

Registered Member

Thanks for the response John.

I will let you know if I can make it up for the meeting. Looks like the 15th is on a Saturday and I have a few friends in the Dallas area that have been after me to visit.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Anyone else new from Texas???

-john

Registered Member

Hello everyone, we are from Houston Texas. My husband and I are huge discus nuts! We currently have 25, various kinds, with 3 pairs learning how to breed lol. I myself am getting into wilds and my husband is looking for interesting hybrids We would love to connect with other texas discus keepers to chat and trade/buy.

Rain, Todd and Iris

Registered Member

Welcome to the Texas portion of the board! If you ever head to Austin, you guys are welcome to visit me. Tim Ellis' place is always open to discus nuts as well. Dallas has John Nicholson & Danny Ng. I've never met him, but Tony Serna is in SA. So we've got discus folks scattered across the state.

Registered Member

Any of you texans have blue pandas? Just saw those on the jack wattley site and WOW!
    Thanks

Registered Member

Welcome fellow Texans! Looks like Houston is up and comming with discus folk. I think the jury is still out on just what IS a blue panda. I am pretty much just growing out new stock for future breeding, super angel blue diamonds from Wayne Ng, red snakeskin from How Ng, some nice golden pigeons from John Nicholson, and some red turks from some of my pairs that originated from Team Discus, but no Wattley's. I am also currently involved with the test/analyzing some of Wayne Ng's violet reflections from Danny at discus fantasy.

Tim

Registered Member

Busy man Tim! Sounds like you've got some great fish growing out.

Registered Member

Well, don't know how I missed this. But, Houston here. Just growing out juvies right now (VRs and SADs from Danny, and Goldens and Spotteds from Hepner).

And I managed to start another quarantine tank <LOL> this weekend - I'm guessing it'll be occupied soon as my fish like to expand to use all available water <LOL>.

Love to talk fish any time, and I have a pair of very clean goldens spawning on a seven day cycle. As soon as the male matures I look forward to trading some, so ...

milton

Registered Member

With this many texan discus lovers i wonder why there is no tx discus club/society/org./etc! Would be nice to get togther and chat, hear speakers, give advice,trade fish, etc. From what I've heard the TCA doesn't have a lot of discus at their meetings or auctions.
    <hint hint> Maybe one of you long time discus people should look into starting one LOL

Registered Member

Aquadreamland,

ROTFLMAO. You must be from one a dem little states <smile>. If you've ever heard the phrase everything is bigger in TX, you may not have realized it is because we've got more room to grow'm bigger.

That said, I will enthusiastically host/organize a Houston get together. Problem is, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot to offer the hobby yet.

That said, anybody have any information about the Houston Aquarium Society? To date I've had a conflict with every meeting, but I do look forward to schmoozing. I might be more motivated if I knew there were discus types lurking in the club.

milton

Registered Member

LoL, I WAS born and bred in one of dem thar lil states (IN) But Ive been transplanted to north Houston for quite a few years. Even went so far as to pick up a bit of a drawl.
    I have contacted the Houston Aquarium Society a few times about joining but never got a single reply. Finally gave up and resigned myself to discussing fish on line or only with my husband lol. And well we spend most of our time debating whos right, which is of course ME!
    We don't have a lot to offer the hobby either. However if enthusiasm counts for anything, well we have tons! I think it would be great to just meet fellow hobbyists, have someone to share this fish love with. All the people we know pretty much look at us like we are ill when we start rambling about fish
    If you decide to organize a get together please let me know!

Registered Member

For the Austin folks: I attended the organizational meeting of the Capital Aquarium Society yesterday. A total of 10 fish people attended. 4 of us keep/had kept discus! Most were also into planted tanks which is good for me as I'm looking for a cheap source of cuttings.

There's also a DIYer who wants to make a huge acrylic tank & is into woodworking. It was an interesting & friendly experience. Next meeting is August 5 (1st Tuesday of every month) at Jim's house. IM me if anyone needs directions - Pete.

Registered Member

Pete,

What was acomplished last night? What kind of structure is going to form as far as mission statement, officer nomination/election, you know what I mean. Sorry I did not make it. Daughter had a church function. Hopefully next meeting.

Tim

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast