ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas, USA

Registered Member

Default Re:Texas, USA

[quote author=Tim_Ellis link=board=18;threadid=2337;start=15#117041 date=1058373971]
    What was acomplished last night? What kind of structure is going to form as far as mission statement, officer nomination/election, you know what I mean. [/quote]

Tim, the structure is pretty loose as it's just a bunch of laid back folks. The CAS has been dormant for ~7 years and 2 couples decided to get it going again. This time, w/o the politics (I'm not exactly what problems they encountered before). Both of the organizers have been in other aquarium societies where they resided before & seem to know what they're doing.

Official officers weren't discussed much. We'll try to use any membership dues towards a regular meeting facility. They didn't want to align the club w/any particular fish stores at this point. Folks like to sqabble over the AquaTek vs. Amazonia debate. Dues will also help w/getting a fish convention to come to Austin.

The mission is to basically get together 1x/month, discuss aquariums, have a speaker present a topic, & finish off w/a mini auction. Next month, Donald Davis will talk about digital photography (I'm bringing my 3M multimedia projector). Try to make the next one & bring something to sell...it'll be fun.

Registered Member

I was planning on being there as well but it turned out that there was a keg with my name on it (but thats a different story). I'll definatley try to make it to the next one. Its good to know that there will be other discus keepers involved.

Registered Member

Pete, there was an employee of AquaTek there. You didn't represent Amazonia. :P

Here's a link to one of the member's (Donald Davis) fish website:
    http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/PhotoAlbum5.html

Registered Member

Who from Aquatek showed up? Mark? By the way, hows that daphania doing? Let me know if you need any food for em. Got a whole bag just sitting here.

Tim

Registered Member

It was the female employee...Denise? The one that breeds/shows bettas. She is currently 4th in the international betta standings. Did you know that show pairs can go for hundreds?

My daphnia bit the dust. I'm guessing they were overcrowded as they were packed pretty tight or the food wasn't eaten & spoiled. ??? Thanks for the food offer though.

Registered Member

oh yea, i remember seeing that tank in the aga showcase. very nice. buy the way guys, i just got a shipment in from cary, hopefully i will have something to trade in the near future

Registered Member

Hi y'all, glad to read that there are other discus fans from Houston! I've had discus for 5 years but never raised any fry for lack of time (and probably commitment). Now I am seriously getting back into the hobby and would like to get in touch with any breeders/hobbyists. So, if anyone is interested in hosting a get together, count me in. Also, since there are several good discus sources in the Dallas area, would anyone be interested in a carpool to Dallas one of these weekends?

Registered Member

Any Austinite know of a local turtle breeder? My 4 yr. old wants to set up a vivarium w/Red Ear Sliders. They're around $10 at the LPS, but I'd rather support an individual breeder.

Pete, post some pics. What strains did you get?

Registered Member

Hmm...never heard of any turtle breeders around here.

I got 6 marlboro Reds, I'll probably post pics next week or so when they're all settled in.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I need to checkout this thread more often...LOL. The TCA is starting to get a few more discus people. I make a point of almost always taking some to the auctions. I am doing my best to "grow" a discus interest in the club, but it sure would help if some of ya'll would join up. We have a great time!

I will be leaving to go to the ACA in less hten a week, but if the Texas folks (or any other states for that matter) want to have a get together I will offer up my place and will cook a brisket. It would be a great time. Nothing better then sitting around talking fish.

-john

Registered Member

We are thinking about going to Dallas aroud August 23. Not sure a car pool with us would be a good thing though lol, got a 2month old However if anyone else is heading up there at the same time perhaps we could all tour the dallas discus breeders/keepers places together.

Milton, we've got 3 people so far wanting to get together in Houston So where we havin this gathering at and whos bringing the BBQ! lol

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

When a decision is made on the exact date I will setup some tours. We can start with my hatchery and then car pool to a couple of more sites. I will funish the briskets and cokes.

-john

Registered Member

Aquaticdreamland,

We're a go just about anytime from this side of Houston. But, I just let my brother talk me out of my pit, so dunno about BBQ till I get around to building the in ground pit to replace it <doh>. But, I'm good at making time for discus <smile>. Local ... I do a sorta informal LFS tour most weekends ... whatcha got cool to visit over on the north side of town (it's 40 miles for you non Texans wonder'n why I'm ask'n).

I'm slapping August 23 onto my calendar. I'll prolly want to drive too, I love 2 year olds ... but, I suck as a passenger <LOL>. My car is a 2 seater, so ...

John, thanks loads. I look forward to see'n your operation sometime soon.

BTW, I'd swear I posted this days ago, but ...

Registered Member

LFS wise its decent this way. I will list some that we visit at end of post, w/ description
    We could pre-bbq and bring over but thats not very texan lol!
    I'm not picky, if theres a fast food place w/in 10 miles I think we will all be set ;D So any sat or sun sounds good. Now how to find all the discus nuts............

ABC Pets: some fish, occasional dicus, more birds than tanks

Ultimate Fish: Quite a few discus, no wilds. Lots of africans, especially harder to find ones

Fish R Us: Medium sized selection of wild and tank bred discus. Exotic plecos, africans, and other harder to find things

Sunnys Fish: Occasional discus, lots of standard tank fish i.e. guppies, sometimes has great plants and quite cheap.

Village Tropical Fish: Occasional discus, variety of interesting plants, lots of harder to find fish

Aquarium World:Im sure everyones been there LOL

Pet City: Occasional discus, standard tank fish, occasional plants.

There were some other great ones, but they closed. So I think thats it.

She forgot Petsmart and Petco, lol.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast