ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!

Registered Member

Default Re:Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!

Hi. My name is Pascale.
    Great site!!!.
    Only new to discus.Started off really badly due to crap advice from various sources.I have lost about 15 discus since january so I turned my aquarium into a community tank.But things happened and I am now a proud grandmother of about 30 babies.The two remaining discus paired up and fry are now 2 weeks old.The motto to this tale is "I did it my way!"

Registered Member

Hey All

my name is Lee and i am from Melbourne, i have had discuse for about 10 years and for the last 6 years i have been breeding them

if anyone interested in buying some discus or maybe just some help feel free to aske 8)

Registered Member

hello Pascale, Ann, and Lee,
    good to see new members signing into the board.
    And more Aussies

Pascale you didn't tell us where abouts you are located.
    Lee good to see another Melbourneian. Hope to talk to you some time soon

oh yer, should tell you i'm from Geelong(*near Melbourne*)

Registered Member

I'm in Belfield,in the canterbury district...in sydney,nsw ;D

Registered Member

Hey yall, look's like no one lives out here in the stick's other than me ;D, just all city slicker's, lol. , oh, except TaybelZ hehehehe
    ps. anyone got a picy of a "SOLID WHITE"

Registered Member

Wow - We're starting to get a critical mass of Aussies on this board. Although total members here is about 720-odd now... Heh heh small fishies in a big pond. At least we don't have to worry about nitrate build up in that case (LoL)

Hey Serpae, I think I have one of your little brothers in my rainbow tank. I don't have may tetras left now, but that little serpae is over 2 years old now and still going strong.

I live and work in Nhulunbuy, about 700km from Darwin. The road gets washed out every wet season, so we get cut off here 6 months of the year - Not that you'd drive to Darwin on a regular basis. I'm based in Brisbane, which is where I keep my discus. Or where Ari keeps them and I just go home and look at them!!! (LoL)

Let me know if you find a solid white discus. They are rare in Australia, and many of them are based on Pigeon strains. Not that there's anything wrong with PB's (they are still my favourite) but true White Swans are their own strain. There was an LFS in Sydney that recently had a shipment of white swans, but I didn't see any so I can't tell you what they were like.

Cheers, Scott

Registered Member

Hiya again. What a beauty hey, closest I got to owning one at this stage, lol (White Swan). Where I work we have Solid White's on our fish list, or wish list that is. Should I go for it and get a couple unseen.

see... there you go..serpae. now you and Scott can drool over white swans togeather. LOL.
    yes....no nitrites in the "bigpond"
    oh..sad to say..that after tomorrow.... Oz will be cleaned out of all discus....as thier coming here. to Canada!!!!! ;D :

Registered Member

April, the amount of Aussie Dickies you are getting, wouldn't it be cheaper if you moved over here, heheheh
    Yeah, our bigpond is pretty well cycled, lol.
    Which one's you getting this time, surely their can't be many strain's left that you havn't already got. Maybe my Solid White's?

nope no solid whites for me....but ...if Scott has his way...there will be some coming to Australia for him and others maybe....
    im getting red diamonds, scribbles, goldens, and rsgx red diamonds. ;D
    but i can get solid whites here... ;D
    yes...i couldve flown there...but the fish get to fly and immigrate instead...thier better travelled than us.

Registered Member

I thought we could get white swans in oz. i saw a website.
    i'd be interested to hear from you all if you know of him.
    www.zoomnet.com.au
    what about "discus down under"

discus downunder is no longer...
    all i know...
    rods friend has 6...snowflakes...is that the right name scott?
    or are the white swans?
    havent bred yet.

Registered Member

Yoo hoo, only me again. ;D
    Yeh, zoomnet address belong's to "Exotic Discus Breeders". They do supply White Swan's, but I would like to see a picky of a Solid White before taking the dive, both are worth big bickies here in Oz. :'(
    April, "Snowflake", where are all these whites coming from.
    I don't remember seeing them on Rod's site, will have to re-check
    ps White Swan Photo above is "Exotic Discus Breeder's"

Registered Member

Hey Darren,
    hows it going mate!!!
    Long time no see.. i thought you were dead
    Joking man.

We'll have to catch up sometime.. glad your still alive and kicking...

Registered Member

G'day again. what we call white swans (which I belive are bred in Penang - correct me if I'm wrong here) and snow flakes are the same fish bred independantly. I'm not sure if they are the same strain or separate strains that were bred along the same lines. I read somewhere that scorpions are snakeskins bred in thailand, so they look the same but they are bred from different brood stock.

Anyway, I know that I want a white discus!! We are waiting to see if Sly can ship to Australia, and if he can, we will get some of the nicest white and golden strains I have ever seen!!! It is just Australia's tough quarantine regulations that are holding us up - any discus dealer importing into australia has to have some kind of certification to prove they are safe, and then there has to be an approved quarantine holding area for the discus once they hit shore. And a discus person on hand to make sure they are properly looked after, of course!!

Pascale and Serpae (or Darren!), the site www.zoomnet.com.au and exotic discus breeders are one and the same - Don Ritchmond runs the operation out of Cairns. I was lucky enough to go and see Don's quarantine room and grow out tanks first hand a few weeks ago. Curently he is importing all of his discus from Malaysia, and I have to tell you he has some absolutely stunning fish. Some of his adult discus are top quality, and he has some of the cleanest pigeons I've seen anywhere. (Keep in mind I've only been into discus for 12 months!!) Don has been into aquaculture for many, many years and it is very interesting to pick his brains over a cup of coffee!!

Buying fish sight unseen is always going to be a hit-or-miss option, unless like Rod and April you have been friends for years and the breeder hand picks his best fish for you. Don orders his fish from Malaysia on the basis of photos, and he said sometimes what he receives isn't the same as a photo of a prize-winning fish. Not to say that the fish isn't nice in it's own way, but it may not be the discus you were expecting. Don sells wholesale to petshops in Sydney and Adelaide, and Melbourne I think too. Unfortunately not Brisbane yet. The best way would be to get in touch with Don direct via e-mail and go from there. Alternatively, there are at least two petshops in Sydney that I know of that import direct from Penang and sell to the public. Of course thier overheads are higher and the discus more expensive, and unless you are planning on getting $1,000 worth of discus, shipping will not be an option. Those lucky Sydney-siders!!!

Oh well, that's my post for the week - LOL. Rod's mate does have half a dozen high quality Penang white swans, but he's trying to breed them so we will have to wait. I think he will have a ready market for the top-notch offspring.

Cheers, Scott

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast