AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bio-Aquatics.com and Mysis Shrimp

Default Bio-Aquatics.com and Mysis Shrimp

Hi Everyone,
    I recently tried another brand of Freshwater Mysis and wanted to share the experience with you. Last week I got a call from Bio-Aquatics's owner Walter Hackett. We talked a bit about the various fish foods that his company specializes in,( and his past history as a Discus hobbyist ). They sell a bunch of brands including Hikari Blood worms, Ocean Nutrition, San Fran Bay products. They recently started selling Canadian Lakes Fresh water Mysis under their brand McDonald’s Mysis.
    Walter was given my name by some of the members here that purchase their other frozen foods from him. Knowing I use other brands of Fresh Water Mysis (PEmysis, and Jehmco) he wanted to send me a sample to try and compare.

I received the sample in excellent frozen condition , shipped over night from California to Connecticut yesterday. I thawed and rinsed some and found that after my typical 2-3 rinses the Bio-Aquatics brand was very similar to the other brands That I have used and am using currently (Jehmco). My fish generally get Mysis daily and they readily ate Bio-Aquatics Mysis.

The package sizes that he sells are very convenient for storage purposes (8 oz and 16 oz flat packs). They chose this size packaging to help preserve the freshness of the product. They have a mininum order of 10 lbs, and it can be a combination of the various frozen products they sell.

I'd definetly add this one to your list of places to buy your frozen foods. Walter comes across as a very sincere and knowledgeable person, and they have some products worth taking a looking at.
    You can visit them at .....

http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen2.html

I have not purchased anything from this company yet, but would like for any of you that have, to post your experiences here. I get the impression from talking to Walter that they pay close attention to customer service, and sincerely want you to get the healthiest product for your fish.

Take care,
    al

Registered Member

Default Re:Bio-aquatics.com and Mysis Shrimp

I received last week my shipment of 10 16oz flats of Hikari bloodworms, and 5 16oz flats of Hikari brine shrimp from Bio-Aquatics. Walter was most pleasant on the phone, and kind enough to include a sample pack of Mysids for me to try. He was aware of my recently having purchased a large block from Jehmco. I have not yet oppened Bio-aquatics mysids because I wanted to kill first the last PE flat I had, which I did today. However, my fish have been loving the bloodworms, which are so much nicely colored and pure cultures than the brand I used to feed them before I stopped doing so a few months ago.
    The package arrived perfectly frozen from California to the East coast (MA), very well packed, and the price was very reasonable.
    I am very happy, and suspect I will be more so when I try his sample of Mysids.
    Cheers, Francisco.

Registered Member

Default Re:Bio-aquatics.com and Mysis Shrimp

Hi Al,

Thanks for checking out the Mysis Shrimp for all of us. I have also had good luck with bio-aquatics as a source of frozen foods and they have such an extensive line of frozen foods that I can now fill up my storage freezer all at once with one big order every 6 months. Hmmm where are the kids' popsicles going to go now....

Pat

Default Re:Bio-Aquatics.com and Mysis Shrimp

Well,
    I stocked up my freezer yesterday! I gave Walter at Bio-Aquatics a call and placed an order for a bunch of foods. The box came right on time and everything was frozen solid.

I ordered my Formula one ocean nutrition, Hikari bloodworms, Marine cuisine, Discus delight, plankton, squid(never tried it before), even got some bio encapsulated baby brine shrimp. The only thing I didn't get was Mysis , as I have 5 lbs still!LOL

I checked their prices before hand and all were very reasonably priced.

Also got a special bonus, talked for a while about Discus with Walter from his Discus days.

All in all , it was great experience and I'll definetly buy from Bio-Aquatics again

Take care,
    al

Registered Member

It's good you guy's and gal's have found another source for food. To expand you search anyone can contact Frank Suerth at suerth@surfnetcorp.com or (773) 736-4974 he is in Chicago, Ill. He is the owner of Fish King, Inc manufacture of high quality frozen fish foods for over 20 years. This is the same company that Mike Reed get's his Frozen Food then sells to everyone else. I been getting my food from Frank for the last 3 years and it always arrives frozen and it was that way twice when it arrive after
    the Airport shut down on us last year. I use United Airlines who have a cooler on hand just in case. Because of the hot summer here in Arizona I always order a 100 pounds and he ships it for free. Also for those who can utilize a minimum order of (19 lbs.) can order direct from; piscine@mysis.com in Canada where Mysis orginate from.
    George

Registered Member

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know I just received a shipment in from Walter from Bio-Aquatics today. I ordered 40 lbs of Hikari Bloodworms, Hikari Mysis, Mcdonalds Mysis, Hikari Brine Shrimp, and some Wattley Formula. Walter was very professional and got the shipment out on Thursday for me. It was packed very well and everything was frozen solid when arrived. He also called me today to make sure the shipment made it okay and that I was happy with the product. This is the first time I ordered from Walter and will be ordering from him in the future. If anyone has any non bias questions please let me know.

Registered Member

Darn! As usual our "kisds" eat better than we do! :P
    I think I will try ordering some too. Seems very nutricious and they obviously love it!

-Tom-

How much and how often do you feed your discus with frozen mysis shrimp? Is that a good food to replace blood worm?

I am not sure if I got it wrong, but I heard from a someone that there's frozen beefheart mix for sale

where can I buy them?

Hi hanleong,
    Visit the site....

http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen2.html

They sell a variety of foods at a good price.

I generally try to feed mysis once a day. Just be sure that any Mysis you chose are fresh water mysis.

hth,
    al

Registered Member

wow - i ordered frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp through bio-aquatics yesterday late morning (monday) and received the items today @ noon (tuesday). the items were sooooooo cold and well packed that i think they'll warm up in my freezer - or at the least my freezer temp is warmer than their shipping box temp. i only oredered a small amount and yet my cost was $10/pound and i got a great styrofoam box for fish. will definately buy through them again - even if i find the items elsewhere cheaper - i'm that impressed with their speed and packaging.

paul

Registered Member

I just recieved my order from bio-aquatics, and everything arrived in an extremely frozen state.

This was the first time I have ordered frozen foods via mail and it was about as easy as it gets.

Heres what I got
    Hikari Blood Worms
    Hikari Brine Shrimp
    McDonalds Mysis Shrimp
    Ocean Formula 1
    SFB Discus Delight

I got mostly blood worms and brine shrimp with the rest being a little variety.

Registered Member

What's the cost for shipping approx. 15 lbs.

I'm asking because it was a ridiculous price for me once the order was totaled up.

Has anyone ordered from Foster and Smith? They advertise a price of $19.99 regardless of they weight ordered, overnight anywhere in the USA.

They do have Hikari Bloodworms and Mysis Shrimp.

Registered Member

Does anyone have a contact number for Foster and Smith?

Thanks,

seabass

Seabass,
    It is 1-800-381-7179

HTH
    Miles