AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autopsy of a Red Melon.

Default Re:Autopsy of a Red Melon.

I just dissect another fish (cull)and this time cut open the left side. the internal anatomy is completely different than the right side. The tube which had the blockage on the other fish is very narrow and small on this normal fish. I'm planning to do a needle biopsy to tap fluid out from the right side of the lateral line next time when I have a similar fish. I'll get some Nitrous Oxide ready to anaesthize them before I do that. I'll document it and report you all. discus do have a short digestive tract. I think the blockage was caused by an on set of imflamation of the the stomach linings that provided a big enough passage for the undigested food to lodge into the tube which supplies an digestive enzyme to the stomach. Just guessing.

Jimmy.

Hi Jimmy,
    You can also use carbon Dioxide . a couple of Alka seltzers in a gallon of water makes a good anesthesia for a fish. I've used it before with great success. I'm not sure how the nitrous oxide would work. I have never seen it reccommended. You can also use MS222, as a doc, you should have no problem getting it.
    Good luck, and thanks again,
    al

Registered Member

HI Jimmy,
    sorry to hear of your lost,
    tho i'm sure that knowing the cause of death helps you rest.
    those pictures were sure interesting, I have never dissected a fish before so it was something new to me.

Very educational.
    Thanks for posting

Registered Member

Hi, can you please repost the pictures, looks like there is a problem with them.
    Thanks a lot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12