ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growth of a Discus

Default Growth of a Discus

You remember the pics of Beth's fish from when she received them from Cary and then as they grew? I found them very entertaining and enlightening. So I'm gonna shamelessly copy her and post pics of my latest fish from Mike Wells so you can see their progress. I'll try to update the pics weekly along with any changes that are made to their environment as they grow. Hopefully this will be a sucess story of some really nice adult Discus... you be the judge.

I received them on Sept 9/02. There are 8 of them and they're about 2" in size. They're in a 30g tank that's filled to about 20-24g. I do 66% water changes on this tank 3x a day and will continue for the first month of their quarantine. I feed them beefheart, P.E. Mysis shrimp, Hikari bloodworms & brine shrimp & live Red Wigglers. They are fed about 5x a day. The tank is wiped down once a week and the 2 Hydro Sponge III's are rinsed once a week. The water got cloudy when there was only 1 sponge so I added another. I use a separate siphon & drain hose for this tank.

Here they are when I received them.

Dave

Default Re:Growth of a Discus

Here's a picture from today, Sept 17/02... I think I might have to increase the length of time between pictures. Not much change, they could have been taken on the same day, hyuck hyuck. Oh well, look for real growth in the next picture...

Hi Dave,
    Your Shameless copying is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to watching those beauties grow!

Good Luck,
    al

Forever Friends

Hi Dave. Thanks for posting the pics and information too. I find it very helpful to read how others raise their discus. They are absolutely beautiful!!!!

Barb

Nice Dave, I sure will enjoy being able to watch them grow. I may set aside a few for myself

Good luck

Mike

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Great Dave
    I love picture progressions.
    Carol

Want to race Dave?

Registered Member

race cary..interesting. ;D

Cary,

Sure, don't send me any live CBW, then challenge me to a race. Sounds fair. > But the comparison would be interesting. I'll be feeding predominantly bloodworms, mysis shrimp, beefheart & some pellets. But in order to make the comparison legit you're going to have to clean the urine off of the aquarium glass so we can see the fish eh? Ha ha ha.

Dave

ROTFLOLPIMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Dave. Wish I would have shamelessly done that with a few of mine as well. BTW using CBW's sorry...

Julz

Registered Member

Hi Boys,
    count me in lets grow em and compare em.
    I have a bad start since I had a bad infection spread throughout my fish room. I hope i have no more bad stuff happen and ill do my best to keep up. Thanks Cary for all your help.

Here are the Golds today, 10/16/02. They're growing pretty good considering I have little live food to offer them. The largest is about 3" now. The blue tank sides/bottom has helped reduce the peppering to almost nil but it's also made their colors a bit more washed looking. The tank next to this one has 30 Golds as well and has a darker turquoise back & one side and the rest is open, plywood showing through the bottom. Those fish are more yellow then these. Apparently they all came from the same breeder so it is either differences in the batches of fry or the tank colors. All of these fish are growing & eating well. I have to watch the tank top now... Earlier today I tossed a hunk of frozen bloodworms into the tank with 30 Golds & 10 Melons and within the minute one fish came flying out of the tank as it tried to get the food. I hate it when that happens. It was put back in immediately and continued the quest for food.

Dave

One more pic from 10/16/02.

Dave

Very nice Dave. Nice shape and eyes. What do they think of the red wrigglers? They're obviously promoting good growth.

Mike T 8)

They love them but hardly ever get them. They've had maybe 3 meals of Red Wigglers. I don't have enough for all of my fish very often and it takes a good 1/2 hour to collect & clean them. I mainly pick the smaller ones to feed to new fish and they go fast. I'm hoping if I feed them less the worms will build up a larger population and make it easier to find a ton of them at a time.

Dave

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast