AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tip for life! and I mean every word!

Default tip for life! and I mean every word!

#1 lets start by saying Hello to everyone!

#2 Hello! first any breeder in the usa who claims he is breeding all his own stock and is in Big time selling and advertiseing is not honest period.

#3 You would need 5 pairs of every strain just to keep up monthly trust Me.

#4 do not trust any breeder who tells you to throw your discus in with exsiting discus even if he claims all was checked out! this means nothing!

#5 Did you know it takes 1 day to confirm flukes 5 to 6 days for protozoan and 2 to 3 weeks for organism's AKA bac infections sometimes longer and only a guess on what it is or what it closely resembles and how to treat?

#6 Did You know that most protozoan's like cryptocaryon irritans can lay dormint up to 6 months in your tank untill they detect parmones from your fish to attack. also did You know the parasite is only treatable only in its motile phase, before it burrows into your fish or after the cycst burst? So if your breeder checked 1 discus from one tank does not mean all other tanks are the same period.

#7 Did You no there is NO med on earth that will kill any protozoan cysts? and that goes for flukes + eggs to!
    Hyde and pp do not kill flukes it only removes them from your fish after that it ecapsulates on the bottom only
    to reinfest later? could this be why its the gift that keeps on giveing?

#8 QT is 6 weeks or more no matter who the breeder. cuz of above reason's. we all import he who claims not knows not! or none of the above.
    Any breeder who claim's diffrent please stand up I
    know were you get your discus am not here to bash am just for the people cuz I been in there shoes.

#9 did You know the Top diagnostic doctors in the USA
    cannot even identifify or diagnos over half the new diseases our discus get? some even have know names
    Hell even the brightest scientist can't tell me how they built the pyramids. so why would you believe diffrent?

#10 Did You know Your discus would go Black slimmy
    lay on the bottom huddel in the corner and even scrach for all these diseases?

flukes
    columnaris
    chilodonella
    argulosis
    costiasis
    cryptocaryoniasis ( its not only salt water anymore)
    velvet
    pledge (that I do not believe and is caused by one of these)
    shewanella putrefaciens
    edwarcsiella tarda
    acinetobacter woffi
    vibrio cholerae
    enterococcus faecalis
    viral diseases
    fin rot
    aeromonas
    Oodinium
    brooklynella
    trichodina
    tetrahymena pyriformis
    And hundreds of others still not identified period.

My tip for the week is reality every thing posted here on this board is to help you and is only a guess and thats my final Tip.

Sorry but I heard enough crap lately Please cut the Schitt!
    you know who you are.
    HTH
    TakeCare And Best wishes in Your Discus Venture!
    Cary Gld

P.s Moderaters of Simply can I get a sticky I helped you All with problems and other things. Its the least you could do!
    Just asking?
    GLD

Default Re:tip for life! and I mean every word!

Cary! Thanx for the tips

Man I hope I did'nt start this ???

if you guys knew the import restrictions for aquaculture fish, it would make most hobbyists re-think their quarantine procedures.

Think about it. when a whole industry is at risk, or worse people from consuming a fish.

The goverment (in Canada) wants you to take no chances.

Why should we? we could either take the proper precautions ourselves, or at some point down the road(and it could happen) have them imposed on us.

another thing we must stop doing is dumping random meds and anti-biotics in our tanks hoping to kill whatever we think our fish have.

that's why a few of these bugs are so strong now.

Thanks Cary, you gave it out str8 up!

Registered Member

good tips cary

Cary great info. and thread. And i know you have gone to alot of work to get all this info.
    As you can see we are all still learning...and will keep on learning.
    but makes you think....about quaranting alright.
    and i have seen firsthand at one point how easy it spreads like wildfire. i;d never want to see that again!!
    i did use separate hoses and tanks...but think just hands or a drop of water was all that was needed. within a few days..i had dark fish upstairs and down. now i know how contagious it is.so...please quarantine.
    you got your sticky Cary....and later we can move it to the medical section...

Registered Member

Thanks Cary.
    Great tips for us discus fanatics.

Registered Member

Cary goes off! I LIKE it!

Thanks for the tips!

John

PS I wish I could have gotten this during the interview and have been known for my hard-hitting journalism!

LOL

Cary,

Well put, VERY well put!

But..................
    I would like to add one thing.... if I may .
    I recall a post of a pic that you had (?) of a whole slu of imports you euthanized because of questionable columnaris. You went on to say you were lucky they were in a tank in your garage, and not your basement... I believe you were thawing them on the ground.

I would love to print it, and attach it to this list..... to plaster up in my fish parlor. It will remind me to be patient and quarantine the next time I make a purchase.
    I can tell you after seeing all the posts, pics and stories on chat I will NEVER just plop them in with my existing stock again. I have been so lucky.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
    Not Just Cary.... EVERYONE. !!!!!!!!!

Julz

Forever Friends

Good morning Cary. Well, I must say, when I read your post it made me feel a little worried about keeping discus (unknown diseases, treatments). But we need to hear it.

Thanks Cary, once again, for being so honest and naming and speaking the truth. Takes courage. Reality is, sometimes your honesty and truth makes us feel very good, sometimes it's hard to hear and makes us feel nervous. But, thanks for both. We need to hear it.

They go hand-in-hand and both are important!

Thanks

Barb

Julz You May!

Registered Member

Cary,
    Did you get 1 phone call too many? If you ever need a sounding board , give me a call I COMPLETELY understand.

Daryl

Darn it Cary,

Everytime I think I can't possibly have more respect for you, you go and write a post like this one! ;D

I agree with you 100000000% !!!!!

The lesson to take home is pretty clear for me . Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen ! Quaranteen !

Barb,
    Cary's message is actually a good one. Once you realize these kinds of things you can take steps to safeguard your hatcheries/ tanks/ and sometimes your own lives. That said , these kinds of things are not unique to fish, but are a reality in livestock of any kind.

Take care,
    al
    Ps... well I agree with everything except the gill flukes and PP
    Hyde and pp do not kill flukes it only removes them from your fish after that it ecapsulates on the bottom only
    I'm pretty sure it kills them, just not the eggs--but there are many more of those than any adults! ;D ;D

i know people who get fish in and out are very serious about quarentine. that is, the fish they have are all quarentined apart from each other. then these fish are shipped out. if the order consists of fish from different tanks, this may be the first time they have been in the same water, when you open the bags and put them into your quarentine tank. well, they may not have shown any symptoms in the wholesaler's tanks, but that doesn't preclude any problems we might have, when we get them into a tank, (after many more hours shipping) and swimming with our own fish. obviously quarentine is the only way we can protect our fish. this is not brain surgery.

great post cary. that pic does freak me out a bit though. i doubt there is anyone who reads these forums who hasn't benefitted a LOT from your great info.

rick

Forever Friends

Hi Al, yes I agree 100%. Cary's message is a very good one. I respect him even more for sharing that. What I was saying is that we do need to hear the horror stories b/c we don't QT and that 'slippery breeders' need to be exposed and named, as Cary suggested.

Barb

I agree my brother from another.

Honesty is the best policy. We need to educate...

Come on breeders/Importers Spread the word not the disease. > QT QT QT

They are not just fish there peoples pets.

Mike

Have you ever been hated or discriminated against? I have "Eminem"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast