ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tip for life! and I mean every word!

Registered Member

Default Re:tip for life! and I mean every word!

Cary does it again! It's so good to know that we have someone like him on our side. What more can you ask for in a person right? I'd rather have the cold/hard truth than some useless bs. Now about that dramatic picture of those babies.... what could have possibly gone wrong! What a waste. I guess sometimes pictures speak louder than words eh?

-Tom-

Cary you read my mind..... Thanks for the out cry......

Mike Never in a million years would I have guessed you are shady's fan....

Cary,

Thank you so much for stating the truth!!

Small time breeders like me benefit from all the hard work and effort you have given to the discus community.

Facts are facts, even small breeders must get their stock from somewhere, and that is larger breeders or importers. So NO-ONE is immune from these problems.

But, most of the time our fish are healthy and happy, and will do great in your tanks. No need to become fearful or paranoid, just aware of the facts so clearly stated by Cary.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy discus, I buy from someone who will be honest with me. That way I can be honest with those who buy from me when I grow out my new discus and get a breeding pair that provides me with fry I can share.

Cary walks the talk. Thank you Cary!

Jeff
    Oregon

Registered Member

Excellent post Carry, pretty much says it all.
    Bruce

Registered Member

Hi everyone !

What a post Cary, congrats for your help and honesty !!

Huge thanks for the great tips.

Learning the hard way is not good at all, but I've got one lesson already, and believe that Quaranteen is the only way to be sure of the fish health, as Cary said don't believe in people who tells you the contrary, no way, I did (stupid me) and the result was very sad, by the way thanks to Al "The Brewmaster" & his kind help it was a minor disaster, I don't know what could have happened without his friendly advice !

Best Regards,

Bill

Great job Cary, That's what's called hitting the proverbial nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & yes, we all need a reminder now & then, So everyone pay attention.........

QUARANTINE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Dottie :sick: :sick:

Registered Member

Cary..
    Let me get this straight.. You say that the fish need more QT then the time they spend in the shipping bag? .... Sheesh, what next??? LOL
    But serious...Great tip! This is coming from someone who took the advise of anyone with 1 day more experience then me as "The Expert".
    I learned my lession, and QT everything, Yes (no offense intended) I even QT your nice fish!
    Don't let the [glow=red,2,300]MOOKs[/glow] get ya down! :sick: :furious:
    hang in there....
    chuck

Don_Lee

Thanks for posting the great information Cary. You converted me last time I was there, I now have a 29 gallon QT setup with a sick discus in there. Hopefully one day soon it will be full of new arrivals!

Don ;D

Registered Member

Thanks Cary....once again you speak the truth. I sure do hate it when you sugarcoat things though!!!!

Gip

Guess I better get that QT setup

Thanks Everyone! ;D

Brew Your are a great guy To! And Help Tons of People
    Everyday.

I know me and you sometimes Do not agree! But Hey thats Normal.

Anyways I have talked to Many of the Veterinary Diagnostic and investigational laboratory Doctors in the usa and most claim What I posted About Flukes And the use of PP + hyde to rid Them.

Here is a quote by doug sweet,curator of fishes, belle Aquarium.

April 2001
    skin and gill flukes can be removed by a formalin wdip at ten times the indefinite treatment dosage of 1 rrd per 10 gallons. So at 1 mL per gal for about 20 minutes as a dip,
    You must remove the fish after 20 minutes or when stress occurs. unlike wise potassium permanganate dip will also knock flukes off but wont necessarily kill them.

for reasons I stated above in My first post.

IME I find this to be true along with others

HTH
    TakeCare Everyone and QT!
    Cary gld!

Registered Member

Thanks Cary. I can tell the other folks here, that I just got 4 fine fish from Cary and he advised me to quarantine even his own for 6 weeks as well. Having spent a couple of months fighting a parasite infection and losing 2 of 6 fish, I'm glad to do anything to avoid as many sick fish problems as possible. I would add that we have available to us some very good advice from people like Cary. I also get a lot of info from Discus Page Holland... another great site. It's much easier dealing with problems when you can attack them in a deliberate manner. Thanks to all the experts, like Cary and Fred at DPH, for their help. Kudos!

"I'm keeping my breeding pairs at another place" seems to be a common claim.
    Anyway..thanks for the straight info..I've know this for some time and if I want some of the newer imported strains..I've just been buying them from a known importer. Cary..your honesty and all your help here, along with everyone's praise is about to get you a new customer.

Jason'
    Sorry Big Jay! great add on!

Cary.... You never sease to amaze me

All breeders should be as Honest and Caring as you are

Gotta Love ya :-*

Beth

CARY

Great Post!

I really appreciate the great advice and wisdom you pass along to us all.

It serve as a great reminder NOT to take ANY short cuts!

BTW how much money was that dead & frozen on the grass?

OUCH Forget it I really don't want to know.

Andy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast