AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green slimey algae ?s

Registered Member

Default Re:Green slimey algae ?s

The more I read about algae, the more it seems that many algae problems are caused by phosphates. I just ignored it before, I don't even have a test kit for it (yet). I just assumed the plants got enough of it from fish wastes and I didn't need to worry about it. Not only does it come from the fish but many cities are adding it to their water now. Apparently, phosphates in the water lessen the amount of lead leached by the water from old pipes. It's not the only cause but it's more common than I realized.

Registered Member

Chances are really good that your plants are getting more than enough phosphate. Try upping your CO2 and NO3 to use up more of the PO4.

Registered Member

Gave the sponge squeeze method to try and get rid of the slimey
    algae. Anyone know how long this takes to work as I see no
    difference right now.

thanks

Jim

Registered Member

no idea, depends on how much beneficial bacteria there was in the sponge and how much algea there is I suppose. If it dont work for you you could always try Melafix.

Registered Member

Why add a chemical "fix" that will only change things in the short term? Get some more algae eaters, SAEs, Ottos, or Bristlenose plecos. OR, you can try to remedy the cause and get your nutrients in balance. Check out my sticky thread on nutrients and algae for a start.

Registered Member

IME algea eaters stay away from Slimy algea as it is a bacteria. Cyanobacteria. Melafix is a natural anti bacterial remedy that can help to neutralize cyanobacteria. I suggested to use this as a last resort, if the method of squeezing out a mature filter sponge into the contaminated aquarium fails, I do not advocate the use of chemicals for every ailment in an aquarium ever. Only in a final resort!
    Also another cause came to mind as to the cause of the "slimey algea" Cyanobacteria, is a compacted bottom. I dont use a gravel cleaner, rather turn over the sand gravel substrate manualy then let it settle, then syphon off the debris laying on the bottom material. Which needs changing in my tank!! OH JOY!! :'(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12