ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells, Question on your rack setup

Default Re:Mike Wells, Question on your rack setup

I ordered some bulk head fittings from an on line source and thought they were cheep, so I sent them back and found good ones at Active Plumbing supply right here in town. They were more $$$ but much better quality.

Ben, a lot depends on the stocking density. Normally 50% in the mornings after there first feeding and 50% in the evening after there final feeding. We are blessed with good tap water for growing out discus. 300ms pH 7.3 - 7.5

Mike

Mike, Thanks for all the info on your setup. How hatcheries are set up interests me almost as much as the fish. The close up pictures really help explain exactly what you use and whats going on. Nice and clear too. I have one question. Why did you elect to run the pipes in front of the tanks? I would have had them in the rear but after looking at yours running them in the front wouldnt bother me as much as I would think. I was just wondering why. Rich

Registered Member

Hi Richie- i would do it the same way. The need here for Mike is easy access, not for looks. When you need to work on the tanks daily, you will really appreciate that they are in the front to move the out-take tube, and when you need to change a pipe, the same will be true. Frank

Hello Mike,
    Would you be so kind and post a detailed picture of your rack construction.
    The single row in particular. I am looking into doing the same thing. Are the fasteners (nails, screws) the only thing holding up the base from the legs?

Thanks,
    Alan

Registered Member

Cheers Mike, few thats alot of water im gonna have to start changing good thing im renting no water rates

Hi Frank.
    Thats what I thought. I cold see that top row being a little bit of a hastle reaching all the way back. I was wondering if he might have a plan to cut into the line in a few places, and T in so he could use a shorter hose; say 4 feet vs 12-16feet for vacumeing. For instance along the floor put a T in point it up and put about 2 feet of PVC in. When your gonna clean the bottom of the tanks just siphon into the waste line. It could be caped off when hes through but as long as the waters running to a lower level I dont think thats necessary. I dont know if you can picture what I'm thinking. I hate dragging hoses around. My tanks are in my den. They get hooked on everything. Think Beer. Rich

I'm sorry I did not answer your questions sooner, Its been a very busy week for me.

Frank is correct, It makes pulling the stand pipes and servicing the plumbing a breeze.

Alen, the rack was assembled with nail guns then each of the legs were drilled and bolted. I would not recommend using screws and nails alone... Too much weight.

Its a simple 2x4 construction the tanks sit on the rails, front and back.

I did make a mistake though... I should of placed bricks under the legs to keep moisture from getting to them. If Time and funds allowed I would have made the racks out of 1 1/2" steel tubing.

Mike

Another

Legs

Registered Member

Hi,

What a neat set up. Where did you get the bulkheads and where is the valve to open the drains? Does each tank have its own valve?

John

Registered Member

Just a suggestion Mike; rather than using bricks under the legs. use hockey pucks...
    Been using them for years, they work great !!!!

My stands are all steel .. 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle iron... Built them myself; I found the material to be competative in price; and they do last forever . I used 3/4" bolts( all thread) for leveling adjusters. Lots of coats of paint( brushed on)!!

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Hockey pucks...............its a Canadian thing.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul Baranski

Quick question...I'm on the verge of starting to build my own racks for a fish room. I've never heard of putting bricks (not to mention hockey pucks) under the feet of the racks! Why would there be moisture at the feet? (difference in temperature between top and bottom of the room is my guess) and how would a brick or puck stop this? I was planning to put down a pool liner on the floor and tack it to the walls of the room about 6 inches up. Would this help the moisture problem, or make it worse? ???

Ok well most of us discus water changerers are great at flooding.
    Cary floods so badly he keeps a row boat in his basement to row to the stairs.
    ive had a flood or two....not sure about Mike....maybe hes never flooded.
    but protects from wood rot.
    speaking of canucks and pucks......the queen is coming to play hockey here in a few days. maybe someone can use her puck she drops for under a tank.

I am planning a rack too, so this thread has been great!!!

Mike, thanks for the shots of the rack legs....I was planning on using screws, but will now re-think that!

Another alternative to bricks or hockey pucks is an item that is sold for porch posts.....its a peice of metal( i think cast-iron) that looks like a 4-prong crown, the post sits on top so its not in contact with the cement. The post is finished with moulding so you can't see it.

Fishfinatic.....cement/concrete is porous and can wick moisture, even if it seems dry. If you ever stored a cardboard box long term on a cement floor, it will no longer be rigid. In a fish room this is probably 10x worse. Most people have their fish rooms in the basement or garage with cement floors.
    The pool liner sounds like a good idea. Would it be too slippery after spills?

;D ;DLynn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast