AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slanting fish with clamped fins and not feeding!!!

Default Re:Slanting fish with clamped fins and not feeding!!!

Cary,
    I was about to suggest the same thing: a bacterial infection (only i wouldn't be capable of providing all the additional info...). Would raising the temp a bit help too?

Registered Member

Sorry, I don't mean to simplify stuff (but I can't help it) ???

I was trying to say, that having observed a similar sympton, I was able to correct it with very little difficulty. In my case it was lack of oxygen that created the problem but treated soon enough it was fixed, no meds, nuffink... just a tad more air.
    Thru this site and others I have relied on just a couple of rules, water, more water, and a constant environment. I was only offering a hope, that if, like I, negligence had played a part, a water change and more air might help. Did for me....twice!!! Jeez, I hated saying I did twice !!! :-[ :-[ :-[

(Name withheld for reasons of looking like a twit)

Registered Member

Hey Brad,

Raising temperature is not recommended for fish with bacterial infection. Apparently the high heat favour the growth of bacteria and thus to the demise of your Discus.

I have read where a temp of 82-84F is best.

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.

Chi,
    Don't be so sure! Hi heat works great if you know what your doing ;D and what your dealing with.

Cary Gld!

Registered Member

Hey Gary, please elaborate.

The only info I received was from reading the various posts here on Simply and the consensus is to lower temp for bacterial infection.

It would be great to get a different opinion about heat and bacteria.

Thanx.

Cheers,

Chi.

Hi Chai,

What I was trying to say is when dealing with a bacterial infection, and understanding its life cycle and what this certain organism is (identified) or what meds it is susceptible to. Sometimes heat is the way to go. Of course, high temps accelerate the infection. But this is what we want when using the proper antibiotic to kill it. I guess what I am trying say is if I know what kind of bacteria I have and what type of med to kill it by raising the heat and treating. my ordeal will end faster than if used at a lower temps. Not to mention most fish will continue to eat when treated at higher temps.

Another key point here is we never know what many of the problems are that are discussed on this disease board. We only take our best guess trying to help one another. IME and IMO 75% of the baterial problems are caused by parasites or protozoans. If you do a little research about fresh water parasites/protozoans you will find most do not do well in high heat. A lot of bacterial problems that affect discus are always present in your tank. Most discus will fight off these infections alone with good clean water.

75% of the problems are caused by protozoan/parasites. So IMO I have no problem telling anyone to use high heat. kill it clean the water daily 50% and bam!. I only state that tank water is clean and parameters are stable Otherwise yes, if not done correctly most will kill their discus using high heat.

HTH
    TakeCare,
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the info. It makes total sense what you are saying.

And isn't the Internet great when yer sick? At least you can surf the net, chat and stuffs and won't be passing any germs to others ;D

I'm just getting over a cold myself and was on the net playing games for the past 3 days hehe.

Cheers,

Chi.

HEY CHI ME TO IT WAS (HELLOFACOLD!)

THE HYDE DIPS HELPED ALOT HEE.HEE.HEE

TAKECARE,
    CARY

I still think he types like he has a cold. Your words look all stuffed up, Cary.... hee hee ;D ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12