ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Toronto Discus Club!!!

Registered Member

Default Re:Toronto Discus Club!!!

Jason , are you going to charge for the shipping if you sell the fish here, we might want to buy all your fish so that way you don't have to take them with you

Bring lots of bags my friend ;D ;D ;D

Joao: The club failed many years before Simplydiscus was created. You wouldn't have known. It failed mainly due to outdated information was given and the speakers were more interested in their personal agenda and gains rather than passing valuable information to the hobbyists. It bound to fail if people are only there to sell discus and their equipments. Selling should be done on a separate events like the Durham region aution sale once in a few months.
    Jimmy

Registered Member

Joao,

I'm an enthusiastic discus hobbyist. I kept discus about 20 years ago and now i have returned to the hobby. A Toronto Discus Club sounds great and count me in.

Registered Member

Hmm I haven't check this post for quite a while until I received an email from Joao. I'm glad to see you are picking up where I have left off.

I have tried on several occassions to get people together but it never happen. Guess its part my fault for arranging things around holidays and stuffs.

I would have done more if I was living in Toronto.

So I wish you all the luck in getting this started Joao.

Let me know of the time and place of your first meeting.

Here is the link to Joao's post of setting up a club:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...threadid=16074

Cheerio,

Chi.

[quote author=JimmyL link=board=18;threadid=4003;start=45#msg167218 date=1075908370]
    Joao: The club failed many years before Simplydiscus was created. You wouldn't have known. It failed mainly due to outdated information was given and the speakers were more interested in their personal agenda and gains rather than passing valuable information to the hobbyists. It bound to fail if people are only there to sell discus and their equipments. Selling should be done on a separate events like the Durham region aution sale once in a few months.
    Jimmy
    [/quote]

Jimmy,

look at the map and see where I am, If I can't sell fish or supplies...then I can't go its that simple, I can't take 3 days off of work to drive and round trip ticket is going to cost me $348.00 I'm not going specificly to make money and I don't expect too sell enough to offset my travel cost..but it will help.

Jason: It wasn't my line of thinking when I wrote it. I was just telling what's the feed back from the members of our last failed discus club. Hobbyists are glad if you can bring them their fish personally. We had one speaker only telling centralized system is the only way to go. Another speakers was only saying that his discus was the only clean discus in Town. Another doesn't want anyone talk or ask questions when he spoke. People just got up and left and never came back. The last brought all his equpment with his name and business cards and pass along to everyone to see during his speech. It was just a suggestion and have no intention to offend or upset you by quoting my suggestion. Is that the reason why you threatened to remove my free offer to dill holes to other hobbyist?. If that's the way of your thinking. I'm sorry to offend you. that's not my intention at the very start. Money is the root of all evil. I will leave this forum if that's the case. I hope not.
    Jimmy.

no Jimmy I'm not offended, and I've always felt the world would be close to perfect without money.

even if its going to be a rule of no selling, I'll still try my best to be there to meet and talk and share ideas and experiences with you all.

Registered Member

Jason,

I'll never ask you to come down just to listen or comment discus matters, that's why we have Simply...
    I agree with you. And with Jimmyl.
    What Jimmyl said has nothing w/ you, but was just to remind what happen in the past to prevent in the future.
    Ofcourse, you cannot come here withoult any profit to you, it's your job, and the money you make from it ,it's for to support a good quality of the products you offer, and keep your job going.
    The club should acept to sell fish or have special days for that, what about the sponsers, we have to count with them, and make their adv. otherwise nobody will survive, nor even the club.

About the club, I think it's not possible, I've seen not many responses to my post, so if anyone want's to continue please, go ahed, I don't like to see conflits for no reason...

I just want to , really thank to those good pleople from simply, as well all the people that had answered to my post, and I'm sorry to give up. Not enougfh pleople to go ahed .

If the group is small, we can meet in someone's home. If not what about a church hall. These can be rented for about a hundred on a week day.
    The Hamilton Aquarium Society does this on a regular basis.

Bob Wilson was running NADS (North American Discus Society) for some time. I wonder if it is still active.

Registered Member

Hi guys,

Count me in if there's a club. I'm not sure whether it helps, but I run a local cichlid website (www.devoted.to/cichlids) which is pretty well known amongst GTA hobbyists. Perhaps I could help spread the word.

Best,

Sam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234