AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fry Menu

Default Fry Menu

What are you feeding your fry from day one to 2 inchers?
    Please provide food type in relationship with daily ration, and a time line of changes.
    I just tried something new, very simple and it looks very promising, but I would like to know what your inputs.

Thanks

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Fry Menu

BBS and CBW then CBW, tetra bits and flake.
    Carol

OK, here is my new result on a new feed scheme.
    I isolate the fry at 7 days old, once they took on BBS.
    I feed BBS for 7 days.
    At 14 days old, the fry are about 1/4" or so.
    I began to feed pellets and live black worms.
    They grew very fast nibbling on the pellets in the morning and live worms at night. Full belly all the time.
    At 21 days, they are about 1/2" and still on pellets and live black worms, then it happens. Guess what? If you tried this method, you should know the outcome.

Either way, I'll post the result in a few days to let you reply with your experience or your best guess.

Later

Registered Member Keystonediscus's Avatar

sounds to me like your getting some die off at that stage. If I'm correct
    what you may be seeing may be a problem with gill flukes. Im guessing here but are you getting a few fry that die every day or so? if so. Try this Cary Strong gave me this formula to try on my fry. 1 Tablespoon sea salt per gal tank water add 3 drops formalin (37% formaldahyde solution) mix well with water. do a 50% water change and add salt and formalin mixture to the water and top off the tank with fresh water this is day one day two do 50% waer change again add salt to replace the amount that you took out with the water change but do not add formalin to the tank this time. continue this treatment alternating the formalin addition to the tank on the odd days for a period of 10 Days after that time the flukes should be dead. let the fry rest for 10 days and observe. you can do the treatment again if neccessary after the resting period but I would not do more than 2 treatments total. hope this helps the stage your seeing problems at is a point were fry are very succeptable to flukes and this is the most common cause for fry loss at this age
    Brian Bender
    Keystone Discus
    www.keystonediscus.com

Nope. No contamination of a gill fluke soure. Never had gill flukes and did not have any new fish. The last batch of fry was very healthy. Same tank, same parent, same filter, same water, nothing had changed except for a new feed scheme.

??? :'( ??? :'( ??? :'( ??? :'(

Some of the fry died!
    They choked on worms, sufficated, and died.
    When they were smaller, they did great because they could not mouth they whole worm. But it was an age when their mouths were just the right size of the worms is when they got greedy. Lesson learned, don't start on worms too early.
    Not too bad though because I only killed about 10 fry. May they rest in peace.

Experiences differ. I've fed my fry CBW the whole time and none have died. . . . You do have to be careful not to overfeed. They will overeat if given a chance.
    Carol

Carol, I think you are right.
    I observed some of the fry struggled with the worm in its mouth, then laid on their side, and sufficated to death within a few minutes.

Carol, you say that you feed worms the whole time. At what size do you start with worms?

Thanks

I feed worms to the parents the whole time. The fry just naturally start to nibble on them. I too have seen fry with a worm half swallowed (like a giant piece of spaghetti, lol) I've also seen one baby totally pull a half swallowed worm away from a sibling.

Since fish breath through gills I'm not sure if a swallowed item would suffocate them? They can certainly kill themselves by overeating though.
    Carol

Carol,
    I don't doubt your experience. From my understanding, the gills of fish serve to exchange gas. Fresh water must be feed through the mouth, then passing through the gills to exchange gas, and then exits through the gill plates.
    If the mouth opening is closed or blocked, then there will be no oxygen-rich water being pass through the gills. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Registered Member

Hey RH, I do not doubt your experience. But Carol is correct also. I chop my worms with a razor til they are about a month old, but I think it was Cary who said I should just leave them whole. I think maybe you just gave them too much. What do you think? Frank

Hey Brian,
    I think you are right about the gill flukes.
    How is this possible?
    I never had gill flukes before. Why and how this time?

Damit!

Registered Member

Hi,

What are BBS and CBW? Are they a brand or a product?
    Because I am very interested in breeding discus fries. Once I bought 50 little fries(just separate from their parents) and fed them with newly hatched brine shrimp but they died at the speed of 2-5 per day. At they end they all died. So I guess the newly hached brine shrimp could be unclean or what I fed poluted the water. This time I want it to succeed. Could anyone tells me what are BBS and CBW and are they that good? Thanks a lot!

Registered Member

Hey Wo! BBS are baby brine shrimp and CBW are California Black Worms. Frank