ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frozen Beefheart Mix

Default Re: Frozen Beefheart Mix

any tips on getting them to eat BH? i was given a 1lb bag of it from a local guy..my discus won't touch it lol. should i just not feed them for a day or two, then offer them BH?

my old discus went crazy for the stuff, but they were all already on it before they were in my tanks.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight87 View Post
    I noticce alot of people like you use Women's One a day...I just got some Actual Discus vitamins...does anyone use them?
    And I find that using an icecube try and sealing it with Plastic wrap works really well to freeze them. After they are froze I individually wrap each cube in aluminum foil and place them in tupperware containers. Every morning I take one cube, thaw it out in a cup of the aquarium water, drain the water, and then give them the beefheart..and the feast begins
    Any vitamin will work, I used to use Centrum Liquid vitamins but now strictly use Andrew Soh's Pro-Growth. There is no need to thaw mixes. I freeze mine layed flat in freezer bags. I then rip off the bag, cut the flat slab into cubes and throw all the cubes in a plastic freezer bag. When I feel like feeding my fish, I just toss in a cube or 2. Easy as pie.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight87 View Post
    I noticce alot of people like you use Women's One a day...I just got some Actual Discus vitamins...does anyone use them?
    And I find that using an icecube try and sealing it with Plastic wrap works really well to freeze them. After they are froze I individually wrap each cube in aluminum foil and place them in tupperware containers. Every morning I take one cube, thaw it out in a cup of the aquarium water, drain the water, and then give them the beefheart..and the feast begins
    Each cube is individually wrapped ? Won't work for me .. I made at least 10 lbs each time .. I just cut them into cubes and freeze them in a zip lock bag. I don't think you need to thaw it .. I just throw the cubes into the tank. I will slowly sink and my fishes will go after them.

Registered Member

i am in the process of purchasing some discus frok kenny cheung. they are all adults about 5'' maybe one is 4''
    my question is can i get away with just feeding the FBW pellets and flakes.will they be healthy and happy? i am really trying hard to avoid beef hearts mixes. but if it is a must to keep them healthy then ill do it. but,its just so messy

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gr8nguyen1 View Post
    i am in the process of purchasing some discus frok kenny cheung. they are all adults about 5'' maybe one is 4''
    my question is can i get away with just feeding the FBW pellets and flakes.will they be healthy and happy? i am really trying hard to avoid beef hearts mixes. but if it is a must to keep them healthy then ill do it. but,its just so messy
    No food is a must food .. As long as you feed them a good variety food and have a good balance nutrition, then your fish should be healthy and fine.

Registered Member

My second ever batch of beefheart mix turned out even worse than my first batch. This time, instead of banana and shrimp as binder, I used gelatin and shrimp. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm doing, and the gelatin turned into little translucent beads. (for those who live near sizeable Asian populations, think pearl ice tea LOL). They don't bind anything. The first chunk that went into the tank fouled up the water so bad I had to change water immediately.

My recommendation is to go the route that Jhhnn did. Use a salad shooter as discovered by Carol. I don't have a salad shooter, so I make very very fine juliennes of beefheart. These do NOT foul the water in any way.

It's too labor intensive, so I am on the hunt for a salad shooter.

Tim

P.S. When I was searching for beefheart, I hit up every single "ethnic" market in my area. I finally found them in my regular mainstream supermarket. I LOLed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123