ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My first Discus

Default My first Discus

Well, I've gone an done it..... I've read many post on this forum, learning lots of info on the way. I wanted to do my homework before I made the plundge. I've finaly aquired my first Discus fish which I've been wanting to do for a long time. I went to a local fish auction and picked up a few labled as pigeon blood. Wish me luck!

Alan

Default Re:My first Discus

;D

how much did u pay per fish, if you don't mind me asking, and how big are they? Also what size tank do u keep them in and what type of maintinance do you do? In order to get the best fish possible, you need to ask ask ask questions on here and waterchange waterchange waterchange.

Brad

Hi Brad,
    The fish are 2-2.5" which are in a 55 gallon barebottom tank. It is on an automated water change system (drip style) that gets about 15 gallons changed a day. I paid $65 for 8 fish.

yeah, not a bad deal to learn on some fish, then you'll want to start getting nicer and nicer fish...... Is there any way you can increase the drip, because it needs more water changed than that to grow really nice fish. With the drip system, even though 15 gallons come out, it's not all 15 gallons of old water, some of it is the water that just dripped in. Most people like 30-50% daily WC's, others like 100%, but that's for the more extreme people. Good Luck.
    Brad

Registered Member

Fishhead,

Well congratulations on your first discus. $65 for 8 fish is pretty cheap, so if you even get one really nice fish you will end up getting off good.

The most important thing is to have fun and learn about your fish. Before long you will have more tanks and be looking for high quality fish that may cost you $65 or more EACH!

John

;D