ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: python problems

Default Re:python problems

i'm trying to picture what you're talking about but i can't... you hook a hose up to your tap and run it into your toilet? this sounds like a cheaper option too so i'm really interested.

as for water bill - it's included in my rent

Erin....i have one sitting here i also cant use..and get a garden hose...and a magdrive pond pump. pump it out...and then pump it back in. out of a bucket in the bathtub. works great. my sink here had threads but too fine.and kept blowing off. and .i did get an adaptor with mine. a white ring with different size threads on it.
    if you dont want to get a magdrive pond pump..get an 802 power head . pumps out fast.but not very good for pumping in if the tank is too high.

Registered Member

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I siphon the tank out into the toilet first. Large end in the tank. Outlet under the toilet lid. Get the siphon started by filling the large python end with water and letting it flow down into about 3 feet of hose(pinched off at the bottom). Everything filled completely with water so no air is anywhere in the large end or the three feet of hose. Make sure the pinched end is below the tank, then place the large part in the tank and let it go. It will start siphoning immediately. (Just make sure all air is completely out or it will stop the siphon). You then can clean and empty the tank. Just make sure you keep the large end completely submerged. (Any air will stop the siphon--making you start over again). If you have to jump over a centerpiece to clean the other side, pinch the hose, lift the big end up, put it in the other side, make sure all air is out, set go of the pinch, and resume vacumning. When you are through and ready to fill the tank, take the end out from the toilet lid, attach it to the faucet and fill the tank. Water will run out of the large python end into the tank. If you go to the hardware store to buy a dishwasher adapter, just take off your aerator, take it with you so you make sure you get the same threads on that end. The other end will always take a hose. Sorry, hope that is more clear. It is really simple.

Registered Member

The only reason for the faucet adapter is to FILL the tank. There is never any pressure on it.
    The siphon is strictly gravity flow. No reason to use a pump to siphon as long as the point where the water runs out is lower than the tank. A pump is used to carry water over the same level or to raise it. Also to give you more pressure if necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12