AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: WATER TURBULANCE

Registered Member

Default WATER TURBULANCE

I have a 125 gallon tank with an emperor 400 and eheim 2028 filter on one side and a emperor 400 on the other side. I have 11 med. size discus that tend to stay to the side of the tank were the single emperor is. Am I over filtering my tank and creating such a current on the side were I have the emperor and eheim that the fish just do not want to go over there? I have a large piece of driftwood on the side that there are two filters to help break up some of the current from the two filters. I would like to disconnect one of the filters but feel that I need them all to keep the tank clean and clear. Any help would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Default Re:WATER TURBULANCE

I have a 100 gallon tank with a similar setup. It has an Emperor 400 on each end and a Magnum 350 taking water from one end and putting water back in near the center with flow diverter on the input causing the water to shoot across the surface. Helps aereation. Large driftwood in the center. The fish will congregate either around the driftwood or one end where I have thicker plants. But only when they are disturbed. When they are relaxed, they drift around the tank with no regard to the water flow. Even will play around in the current when I fill the tank. Is it possible that there is some other reason for them gathering in one place? Some folks say that discus don't like current, but I have never witnessed any behavior from my fish I could blame solely on that. HTH

Registered Member

I have a heavy current in my show tank and the my discus roam the entire tank, the strong current theory has never been a factor in my tanks. You could try feeding the discus in the part of the tank they dont like. My guys hang in a certain spot if they see me coming and are accustomed to getting food there. Even maybe hang a worm feeder where they are timid and feed live worms there.

Ken

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Turn off the filters on that side and see if they go over there. I think two filters should be sufficient.
    Carol

Registered Member

I have a gentle flow across the length of my tank and then a faster flow on one end. I let the discus pick and choose which current they like at any particular time during the day.