ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Capillaria treatment - optional solutions needed

Registered Member

Default Capillaria treatment - optional solutions needed

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3972

On the Thread 3972, I outlined my Discus problems with Spironucleus Vortens/Hexamita and treatment with Metronidazole.

As noted by "brewmaster15" in the thread, "theres probably a good chance these fish have worms as well" - i.e. "Capillaria". ("they seem to go hand in hand with Hexamita").

QUESTION: Is Panacur (Fenbendazole) the only treatment that will work for Capillaria, or are there others that work as well? I have also seen the following in my local Seattle store:
    >> DISCOMED by Aquatronics (Formula A15-H, 250mg caps. Contains Levamisol, Piperazine)
    >> DISCO-WORM by Aquatronics (400mg caps. Contains Pipzine)
    >> FLUKE-TABS by Aquarium Products

Current Symptoms:
    - None of the 8 fish have died; all survived the Metronidazole (5 treatments of HEX-A-MIT) and resumed eating as normal
    - Existing symptoms >> 7 of 8 fish have cloudy eyes, two stopped eating over past 2 days (one of the two is hiding in back of tank), no other noticeable symptoms

Current Conditions:
    - Continuing with 50% water changes every other day
    - Reduced temperature from 92 to 90 degrees

Thanks for any guidance on this topic!

Default Re:Capillaria treatment - optional solutions needed

Hi,
    Discomed or Pipzine (both have piperazine) are said to work.

IMO Flubendazole works best. Order it at http://www.4fishstuff.com/index.htm (download the catalog)

I don't care for Discoworm (too harsh)
    Fluke tabs are suppose to work (some use at 1/2 strength)

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

Hi Marksor,

How is your fish coming along? I believe mine might be having Capillaria as well. Did your fish poop out "yellowish/white gelly poop"??

I will be using Fluke tabs tonight and see if that will cure them. In the meantime, I'm curious as to which medication did u end up using?

Also what is the temp you are currently treating them at along with the medication.

Thanx.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

http://www.aq-products.com/Catalog/C...ame%20Page.htm

FLUKE-TABS by Aquarium Products - I chose this medication because some of my fish are not eating, and the other products mentioned in this thread require that you administer the medication with Food.

Some fish were scratching against objects in the tank, and this has stopped. Am now into second medication, and fish seam sluggish, not interested in eating.

Lession learned about FLUKE-TABS >>> they dissolve very poorly, i.e. for the first medication, I dissolved them directly in the tank, and noticed that they did not breakdown as much as liked. For the second medication, I put the tablets in a container with 120 degree F water, and used a hand blender to grind down the tablets into the water .... worked very well.

Registered Member

Hi Marksor,

Fluke tab indeed dissolved rather poorly. I dissolved one tablet at a time in a 250ml bottle and shake it vigorously. It did seems to dissolved somewhat but not totally, and it cloud the water somewhat.

Keep me posted on your Discus progress thanks.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

Hi:
    I hope your fishes get better, and it seems that the treatment your are following is working.
    You indicated that some fish have cloudy eyes, and that you are doing 50% water changes every other day.
    IME, cloudy eyes are almost always indicative of poor water quality, and they get better rather quickly simply by increasing water quality (no meds). It it were my tank, I would do daily water changes, as large as possible. Even a 30% change every day, will be more beneficial than a 50% every other day. When temp is high, this may be even more important, as in a 48 hour period, things in the tank have the potential of going very, very rank.
    I hope somebody else comments on this, but is what I would do.
    Good luck & cheers, Francisco.

The medication in fluke tabs dissolves quite readily. The white granuals left are an inert ingredient used to hold the tabs together. Do not be concerned with it.

Mat

Registered Member

Oh great news indeed Mat.

Danks.

Cheers,

Chi.