ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: VORTEX XL DIATOM FILTER vs MAGNUM HOT

Registered Member

Default VORTEX XL DIATOM FILTER vs MAGNUM HOT

I have a 125g tank with 11 med. size discus. I am trying to figure out which filter would better serve my tank (vortex xl or magnum hot). Can you run these filters 24/7? I am currently using 2 emperor 400's and a eheim 2028 on the tank but just can't get the water as crystal clear as I would like it.
    Any experiences good or bad as far as maintance, setup and end results that you have had with either one would be helpful. Thanks for your time.

samcatj

Registered Member

Default Re:VORTEX XL DIATOM FILTER vs MAGNUM HOT

Samcatj!
    I don't own a Hot Magnum but do own a few Diatom FIlters. You cannot leave the Distom running 24/7, the most I have run mine is 8 hours but that's moving from 1 tank to the next. The Diatom does a fantastic job of cleaning a tank. It's a item I use just as I notice my Discus start to clean the spawning cone as my Blue Diamonds are doing this morning. I will let it run for 1 hour on the 29 then I will let the Discus go on as nothing happened.
    George

Registered Member

With the magnum setup with a micron cartridge (or whatever they call it these days) it falls into the same category as the diatom. They are both designed to filter out extremely small particles so running them 24/7 would clog them up in no time at all.

I used to heat dealing with diatom filters so my choice would be the magnum since its easier to replace the cartridge in it. Though I would bet that the vortex would do a better job in a shorter amount of time. Thats of course IMO

I think they're both right. I run a Magnum HOT with the micron filter on my salt tank 24/7. I change the filter every 2+ wks with no problem, bioload is small. Have used it on the discus tank with Zeolite in it when I was away for 9 days. Its great for emergency add-on too. When I returned from trip, all tanks were at zero NH3 with the Zeolite, don't know if it was necessary, but was taking no chances. My Vortex is always handy to clean up if a tank has a problem (don't use ithis one 24/7 usually, but have used it for several days). or if haven't cleaned often enough. (get lazy) I love them both & rely on both. lol, Dottie : : : :

Registered Member

I have never used the vortex, but have used magnum 350's, which work the same way as the HOT. The micron filter polishes the water great, but has to be cleaned frequently if you have a large bioload. Used to have to clean it every few days. Now when I use the micron filter, I put the regular blue media sleeve over it. That way most of the larger particles are trapped before they get to the micron filter and it doesn't clog up as fast. Any filter that filters tiny particles has to be changed more oftn than the others. Just the nature of the beast.

Just setup a 30 using the Seachem onyx sand. High amount of pariculate matter despite rinsing. I let the tank settle overnight and it was extremely cloudy after 12 hours. Ran the 350 with the micron filter for two hours and it knocked out 95% of the cloudiness. Intend to run it for three days then sponge the inside of the tank.

Although a diatom provides much better filtration on particulate matter, it is much more maintenance intensive. I much prefer the 350.