ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: egg crate tank dividers from Home Depot

Default egg crate tank dividers from Home Depot

Hi,

How do you fit the egg crate dividers on the sides? Cut to fit tight and cram it in or do you need to put something else down the sides to get it to stay put? I wish some company would make larger dividers, the biggest pre-made is only good for a 50gal. Thanks.

Joan

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:egg crate tank dividers from Home Depot

I've read that some folks use sponges (like a gasket) to hold the edges in place.
    Carol

Thanks Carol, that would be one way to do it but I'd think those sponges would need constant cleaning which would mean escaping fish. Any other ideas besides a permanent silicone sealing?

I've got a crazed out female who is spearing everyone in the community tank in an attempt to keep all others away from her mate. I don't want them successfully breeding anymore at this time and put them both into the 125gal to free up the 55gal for their babies who are now about 6 weeks and need the tank space. It's always something!

I'm think she'll settle down but just incase she doesn't......

JR

Registered Member

Joan
    Depending on the size of the gapat each side there are a few different ways you can try.
    1.Use a piece of hose ,slice it down its length and slip it over the edge of the divider.
    2.you can run silicone down the edge ond keep building it up until it is the right size then wait for it to dry and put it in place.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, good idea about slitting the hose! That would act as a cushion. I was thinking somehow adding suction cups, but the hose seems easier. Thanks.

JR

Here's what I do. I use a Fluval sponge and cut a slit in it and fit the eggcrate within the slit. Then I sew it up with fishing line after wrapping it in fine mesh. The mesh is only necessary if you're separating fry. The sponge pushes against the glass and holds the divider tightly to the tank sides. I've also cut out sections for the horizontally mounted heater and filled those with sponge too. Just make sure the heater is within the divider at a point where there is no heating coil.

Dave

Forever Friends

Hi

What is the 'egg crate' material called at Home Depot? Would like to purchase some but don't know what department or what to ask for, is it wire?
    Thanks
    Barb

It's in the light fixture, ceiling tile area Barb. They use these things to cover fluorescent lights. It comes in sheets of 8'x4' I think.

Dave

Registered Member

I think the eggcrate is 24 x 48 inchs; in canada anyway.
    very nice settup Dave.
    I have been using the eggcrate for years; very handy material .
    nevey had any problems with it!
    and cheap

That's slick Dave, but one thing. Doesn't that sponge get filled with debris? How often do you have to pull it and clean it? Thanks.

JR

The water isn't flowing through the sponge so it doesn't get dirty. I just put the siphon pipe up against the sponge and it cleans it enough for me.

Dave

That's everyone, quite a few good ideas on how to make one of these. Luckily the female has quieted down for now and I probably won't need to do this, but it's great to know how to build one! Hope you don't mind Dave, but I'm gonna save that pic to my hard drive.....thanks!

JR