ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What kind of creature could this be?

Registered Member

Default What kind of creature could this be?

I have a young pair in a community tank(gravel bottom) that are learning parenting skills. They just had a number of eggs make it to wigglers, but they soon disappeared. While observing the eggs, just before hatching, I noticed something very concerning.

On the pot where the eggs were layed, I saw a little creature crawling around. It was dark colored, elongated and about 1/8th inch long.
    What could this be?
    How dangerous is this to my discus?
    How should it be erradicated?
    Should my discus be medicated as a precaution?

btw, I'm removing the pair today, all other fish previous removed before wigglers hatched.

Registered Member

Default Re:What kind of creature could this be?

Well, that's a hard one.
    It will be helpful to have more info, if not a picture, for which the problem is probably finding it again.
    Does it have legs (so it walks), or does it glide as a flatworm, or does it swim somehow. Does it look insect or crustacean-like (arthropod), or worm-like with no legs(platy*=flatworm, nema*=roundworm, or hirudinea=leech), or does it look like a segmented worm with legs (polychaeta). In the absence of more info, my guess is that it is just a monster.
    Good luck, Francisco.

Registered Member

Default Re:What kind of creature could this be?

Francisco,

Thanks for the reply! Anyplace I can see pics of those varmits? Maybe I could identify this thing from pics on a website.

As far as better description goes, about all I can add at this point is that it seemed to either glide or walk. It didn't wiggle, squirm or inch along like a worm.

I'll post a pic if I can.