AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Home-made CO2?

Default Home-made CO2?

I've finally decided to start planning a fully plated tank. I'm gonna eventually put 7 wilds, a school of rummy-nose, pair of rams, and a couple cories in a 125 gal. This will be my first fully planted tank. Anyone know how to make a co2 supply?

Thanks

Mike T 8)

Default Re:Home-made CO2?

Oh I have just the gal for you.....

Ohhhhh Pamela.... Someone has a question for you. Take a look, these are with homemade C02......
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=4353

She is amazing....

Julz

I had diy C02 using sugar/yeast on my 90G planted. I hated it because it needed like 4 4L bottles and mixing a new bottle every 3 days! My kh is around 120ppm and the ph would swing from 7.6 to 7.0. It would never be constant. The sugar/yeast method works great for smaller tanks and maybe softer water.

I gave up after about 6 weeks. I went and bought a 10lb pressurized C02 bottle from a welding supply shop for $120Cdn. Refills are $1 per lb and it lasts at least 6 months if not longer (Ive probably payed for my system already considering that I was dishing out around $5-10 every 2 weeks on yeast and sugar). The biggest advantage is my ph is constant at 7.2! This is just my experience!

The other disadvantage is that I know a couple of people that have had their sugar/yeast reactors spill into their tanks causing massive damage.

Sorry if I'm negative but I thought I would share my experience with C02 systems especially with big tanks! Other people love it so you can always try it and decide for yourself!

Damn I love this forum.
    Great info roncra. I am plannin the homemade route (on a 20), but then again...... I will be picking your brain ( if u will allow me) for the "bigger tank" version.

Thanks!

Julz

LOL! Julz! You can pick anytime but you may be disappointed that there is not much to pick at! ;D

Registered Member

When you decide to go to a pressurized CO2 system don't buy your gauges at your LFS. Much too expensive. I got mine from the local home beer brewing shop. A very good 2 guage regulator for $35 vs $125 at the LFS.

John

Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Plant Gro CO2 Natural System? I saw it at a LFS the other day for $30US. It has some kind a chamber that you add a powder (probably sugar and yeast). It also comes with a bubble ladder that looked good. I was just wondering, I'll probably continue with my old DIY setup.

I have seen it and it looks cool but imo, a tad pricey! Especially when you probably have some 4L pop bottles kicking around anyways. One thing I did not check out was the replacement powder price. I bet it is a whole lot more expensive then going to the grocery store.

Well, since I have the pressurized system, I have no need for it! That is unless someone wants me to test it out. In that case, gladly! I have a paypal account! ;D

John,
    Absolutely correct! In fact talking about lfs and prices, I hardly buy equipment from petstores anymore. Id rather spend the money on fish, not equipment. Home Depot should open a fish section. THere is sooo much available there for equipment!

Registered Member

With anything larger than 20g compressed gas is the way to go.

For some good discussions on CO2 systems go here:
    http://www.aquabotanic.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=4

For reliable and inexpensive regulators check out:
    www.kegworks.com
    www.clippard.com ~needle valves and bushing adaptors.