ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: cloudy eyes??????

Registered Member

Default cloudy eyes??????

Can any give me some advise? My female who is ready to spawn has a cloudy [1]eye. She acting normal but I have her on auction and hate to sell her with that kind of a defect.I'm hoping it clears out soon.

Default Re:cloudy eyes??????

Cloudy eye is usually associated with water quality/bacterial problems.
    What is your water change schedule and tank parameters?

-al

Registered Member

I usually change water every day but been out of town and didn't change for 4 days. I have them in 20g breeding tank. What do I do then to cure it. I just changed the water right now and hoping for the better. Do I increase the temp? lower the ph? I have the ph at 6.5.Any medication needed? Salt added to the tank? Appreciate the advise.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I would change 50% water in the tank twice a day for a few days. You can use 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons, adding back the salt with water changes. Make sure your change water is the same temp and pH of the water in the tank. Raising or lowering the pH will not make a difference. Your discus want a stable pH. They don't care whether it is 6.5 or 7.5, they just want it the same. If your discus isn't better in a few days, please come back and we'll talk about meds.
    Carol

Registered Member

Just did 80 percent wc but won't be able to do that 2x a day. Is once a day good enough? I will add the salt but seems to be a lot? Can I use iodize table salt? I have some of the aquarium salt but not that much left.Hoping for the best.

Registered Member

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=4413

Thanks for the info in this thread. I just treated my fish for Capillaria (see thread link above), and all but one fish still have cloudy eyes. Two questions:

Formalin - I have been reading that Formalin may also assist with cloudy eyes. Any experience in treating with Formalin?

Water quality - I currently do 50% water changes every other day, and will increase to Carol's recommendation for next 3-4 days - is pH the primary consideration here, or are there other water parameters that I should scrutinize?

Thanks all ....

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Not sure if I understand your question Marksor. With big water changes it's important to have the pH match so as not to stress the fish. I don't think formalin helps cloudy eyes. Formalin is for external problems.
    Carol