Fishless cycle day 16 (Sunday):
    Ammonia - 3 ppm
    Nitrite - 4 ppm
    Nitrate - Didn't test

Fishless cycle day 17 (Today):
    Ammonia - 1 ppm
    Nitrite - 5 ppm
    Nitrate - 2.5 ppm

I didn't record any nitrItes until Day 12 (last Wednesday). I didn't expect nitrAtes for at least another 10 or 14 days as everything I've read and been told is that nitrobacter takes longer to colonize than nitrosomonas. When I saw registerable nitrAtes, I tested the water straight from the tap (registered 0 ppm) and then performed a second test on the tank water and got the same results.

This leads me to another question. When ammonia registers 0 ppm, should I add a little more to keep the nitrosomonas happy while the nitrobacter is becoming established? Will the NS die off soon without a constant source of ammonia?

George

Registered Member

Default Re:Is this possible?

I've cycled a tank in a little over three weeks, your numbers seem reasonable.
    What was your tank temp and what did you use to seed the tank (the source of the good bacteria)? Also, what filter are you using? I'm curious because it's also taken me over six weeks to cycle another tank.
    And yes, you do want to keep adding ammonia, though maybe in lesser amounts.

Registered Member

Ralph --

Tank temp is 84 - 85. I originally had it at 88 - 90 thinking that higher temps would promote quicker bacterial growth but from what I've read and been told here at Simply, NS and NB thrive at temps between 78-86.

I didn't use anything to seed the tank. It's the only tank I have and I didn't want to risk introducing any pathogens by seeding from someone else's tank.

My filters (55 gal tank): 2 Penguin Biowheel 170's with a sponge pre-filter on each intake tube and two air driven Hagen Biofoam double sponge filters, one at each end of the tank. I'm also aerating with three airstones, one in each rear corner and one in the center.

I was just suprised to get readable nitrAtes less than a week after my first nitrIte readings.

George

Registered Member

I think the temperature was the problem on the tank that took over six weeks, it was 90 degrees plus, it was during an Arizona summer.
    Was your tank or filter already being used in a cycled setup? The nitrifying bacteria actually coats the entire aquarium and everything in it. If the tank was already coated, it would explain the quickness. Usually the fish are used to "seed" a new tank (even the fish are coated in good bacteria).
    Either way, it sounds like you've found a quick recipe for cycling.
    The air stones are a great idea too, adding more water movement and O2 for the bacteria.
    When do the fish go in?

Registered Member

Was your tank or filter already being used in a cycled setup?
    Nope. Set up from scratch.

Not sure I'd call having to wait 12 days for nitrites quick... It took 12 days to record any NO2. For the first 10-1/2 days, I kept NH3 at 5 ppm and had the tank temp at about 90. The evening after I lowered the temp (per Ron's advice) I saw the first NO2 readings and they went up rapidly daily after that.

Not sure when I'll add fish. Certainly not until my nitrites are gone. I'd like to have the bio-filter be able to process 3 - 5 ppm NH3 all the way to NO3 in 24 hrs before adding fish. Then I'll do a water change and take a run up to see Mike Wells at A Discus Dream and pick out some new little friends... ;D

Thanks, Ralph.

George

My tank cycles in 4 week with fish.