AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is the latest strain of discus today

Default Re:which is the latest strain of discus today

Hi Joe,
    I was not aware that if Fish breed true at least 60% of the time they are considered a true Strain. In other animal breeding programs that percentage is much higher. Usually in the 90+ % range.

Is that % something that most of the international Discus community adheres to? Being a hobbyist I don't have much experience with "Fixing" a Discus strain. That number just seems real low to me as from the viewpoint of a biologist.

If you could provide more info here it would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    al

Brew, Yes that is the number--allbeit a low one at that! I can understand how you feel. The wilds will breed true with a higher percentage as they would not have as much crossing and backcrossing to achieve. When crossing are done for example to improve the red eye of a strain using a Golden, then there are more recessive jeans.

Another good example is the pigeonblood strains. Many times, 4-5 very different fish types will be thrown. Even Red Turquoise. The Snakeskin variety IME , is the least true strain. I have heard claims of 65 %, but never any backing up of the spawn. Cross a pigeon with a snakeskin and one may get as many as 6 different types. I don't think anything is carved in stone with a dremel tool to prove this strain acknowledgement, but it is largely accepted as such.

Joe

Registered Member

If you cross with a pigeon..u would get a few kinda fish but the setback is the percentage offishes having black specks is very high. right joe?

Sly, Pigeon bloodlines crossed into non pigeons will result in some negative throws but oftentimes the advantage is a redder eye in the case of using the golden to improve the eye of a non pigeon. I would hope breeders would use clean pigeons to avoid the negative characteristics. IMO, Life is too short to have ugly fish in ones tank!! Joe

Excuse me for forgetting, but there is actually a new Discus that debuted in Duisburg this year. It was anred-eyed albino from a breeder in Hong Kong. He named it Heart of Gold. It is a red--pupiled alnino discus. The asking price was 700 Euro ( about $770 USD ) for a 2 1/2" fish. You ask, Did he sell any? What do you think? Joe

hey Joe, maybe he should try selling them on aquabid?
    -al

Yeah Brew--a breeding pair of red eyed pygmy albino discus! He had a brochure accompanying the fish (8-10 in all ) Will post a pic later! Joe

Registered Member

Do the red-eye albinos look like these? The shopkeeper in HK was pushing me to buy these discus. But not for $5000HK each. That's almost $650USD!

Walton

Registered Member

Very nice, Walton. Wish there was a close-up of the fish.

Registered Member

do you think they are worth that prices !!!!

arpanlib

Registered Member

Hi: I forgot my digital cam when I went to HK so I bought one of those cheap disposable cameras therefore I couldn't get too close to the tank.

No way would I pay that outrageous amount for the discus, they look just like a yellow diamond...

But of course there are those who would pay thousands for a flowerhorn.

Walton

Walton, Yes that is the fish. I will post the brochure tomorrow.

Joe

Registered Member

What do you guys think of the snow cone or snow flake isnt this a quite new strain? or is it just newer in mexico?

Registered Member

A fish is only worth what a person will pay for it. They are like any collectable. The buyer set the market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12