ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spawning and Raising Discus in a planted Tank

Default Spawning and Raising Discus in a planted Tank

Hello Everyone!

Yes, it can be done! Discus myths are meant to be broken, and I am here to tell you that I know 1st hand it can be done. So, if it has ever crossed your mind, what are you waiting for!?

1st of all, the reason I attempted this, was because I had a pair, or what I thought was a pair, of wild Alenquer discus. They showed no inclination to spawn in a bare bottom 29 gallon tank, regardless of how many tips and tricks I tried. My good friend, Yvan Alleau, had a planted 75 with a wild blue face Heckel, and wild Alenquer spawning in it, and I thought, hey, maybe that would work for me! So here is what I did.

I used a 80 gallon tank, 48x18x22, and used a 1/2 sand, 1/2 flourite mixture for the substrate. I then added 2 big pieces of rootwood, one at each end. I put plants in that I knew would do well, like a large sword, some anubias, java fern, and java moss, and giant hygro. I also put in 12 cardinal tetras, 3 cory cats, and a pair of rams. I added another pair of discus for a few weeks, to condition the tank, and also to see if they would spawn in this set up. The wild Alenquer pair was added about a month later after I could not get the 1st pair to spawn.

After adding the Alenquer pair, each pair of discus took over one side of the tank, and after about 4-5 days, the Alenquers spawned! The eggs lasted a day, and then were gone. Another couple days, and the original pair spawned at the other end. This went on for a total of 3 spawns, and then the Alenquers raised their 1st, and so far only spawn. I pulled the other pair when the Alenquer fry were free swimming, but left the tetras, rams and corys. About 40-45 babies survived and are growing out in a separate tank now.

Since the Alenquers are not currently spawning, I am considering putting a 2nd pair in the tank to see if they need the "threat" of other large discus to stimulate their spawning instincts. Or, maybe it was a one time thing, or they are just taking a break. I am having fun experimenting, and I am learning a whole bunch!

Regardless of what happens, there is nothing that beats the beauty of a pair of discus in a planted tank. And, if they happen to spawn, it is just that much sweeter!

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to help you!

Jeff
    Oregon

Default Re:Spawning and Raising Discus in a planted Tank

A closer shot.

Jeff
    Oregon

Registered Member

Amazing! Not only in a planted tank but in a community tank, amazing. That's about as close to the Amazon as you can get without a passport.

Some people have been asking about the possibility of breeding in a planted tank, thanks Jeff for posting this.

I hope my Alenquers color out as well as yours did.

Registered Member

Wow, great job, Jeff.

I have a planted community tank too (90G). I got a breeding pair of discus a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get them going. Did you do anything special? What is the water parameters? Would like to learn from your experience. Thanks.

See my tank below. Is it good for spawning?

Lawrence

Registered Member

I would spawn in your tank if I was a Discus Lawrence.

Lots of foliage for the fries to hide and play among. Beautiful tank.

And thanks Jeff for the info, it is great to know that one can raise Discus and fries in a planted tank.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

Jeff,

Really pretty fish and a great story. A good breeder/hobbyist will take a look at what's not working and work around it. Let us know how the little guys progress. I bet the F1 fish are a lot easier to work with and I'd love to see some pics!

John

Registered Member

Great tanks! Lawrence what type are those blue Discus?

Don_Lee

Great pics Jeff and Lawrence, thanks for sharing!!!

Don ;D

Registered Member

[quote author=Tin Pusher link=board=7;threadid=4752;start=0#49382 date=1037987625]
    Great tanks! Lawrence what type are those blue Discus?
    [/quote]

Tin,

Brilliant Blue they are, I was told.

Lawrence