ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Feeding

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Color Feeding

These two pictures will illustrate how feeding axastanthin (sp?) can bring out the red in your discus.

This first shot is a recent picture of a pb male fed only cbw, ONF 1 flake and color bits.
    CArol

Default Re:Color Feeding

Old shot, same fish color fed. See all the red?
    CArol

Registered Member

nice wall paper!!lol
    oh and fish.
    Ivan

Carol_Roberts I was wondering where did you get the axastanthin and how did you administer it in your feeding. I'm new to axastanthin so I'm totally clueless.... BTW very nice vibrant colors in the pixs... also the wallpaper

Thanks.

A-

Registered Member

Spirulina is a good source, add 1 to 2 table spoons per 2lb of beef heart.HTH

I got it from Ray at Discus Hawaii. It's a red powder you mix in food like beefheart. I don't feed beefheart anymore. I have nothing against colorfeeding. I just like how clean my tanks stay feeding cbw instead of beefheart.

CArol

Registered Member

Does paparika have the same effect as astaxanthan ? Carrol what do mix yours in if you don't use beef heart any more?
    DebO

Paprika has some effect, but not as much as axastanthin. I don't feed it anymore.

The ONF1 flake and tetra bits I do feed have a little red. All my fish just have their natural colors right now.

Carol

Ever tried mixing a bit of the color enhancing powder in your worm water?

Registered Member

Yeah then maybe you could have California red worms! ;D Frank

HEY!! I'm trying to ask a scientific question here. Serious replies only, worm water is important to me. (Ten buck says you'll try it Frank, LOL!!!) Bill

I use a product called NaturaRose & Sprilapowder I add 2 teaspoons of each to about 4lbs of beefheart mixture. The best way to add it to the beefheart mixture is. Mix the powders with a little hot water and then pour into beefheart mixture while making. If anyone wants any of eather powder E-mail me or privite message me and I'll sell you some in 2 ounce packages. I bought both in 1lb packs as that was the only way I could order it lol, I now have enuff to last me 5 years or more lol

Registered Member

Hi All -

I use Nutrarose in my CBW, rinse worms as normal, take a plastic fork, scoop some into a glass container and pour the powder right on top of the worms. Stir (and very important) feed in a worm feeder.

The only down side is some of the powder will wash off the worms, and cause a slight red haze for a couple of minutes,( much less will wash off if you use a worm feeder) sometimes the fish will for lack of better word inhale the excess powder, the rest filter or siphon will take care of.

No problems so far, have been feeding like this for about 4 months now. It makes a big difference in red base Discus Hope this helps.

DenverDan

Jehmco.com sells the powder in small quantities as well!
    hth,
    -al

If You guys + gals are looking for the best color feed ever
    check out this site below its called carophyll pink. they also make red,blue,yellow,orange,
    Am told pink is better for red fish.

This is what all Good asain Breeders use on red discus And spotted. From what I hear it is very stronger and longer lasting then the other products out!

Its very hard to get in the states and mine should arrive from singapore Mon. I will be trying it out to see how it works.
    from the links I have read They tell me thats its used on farm raised salmon,flamingos+ other exotic birds.

http://www.roche.com/vitamins/pdf/caropink.pdf
    HTH
    TakeCare,
    Cary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast