AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Epsom Salt Treatment

Default Epsom Salt Treatment

I also have a couple of bloaters and have been treating with epsom salt for 3 days now without any significant results. It might/could be a bacterial problem, but I would like to know your experience with epsom salt treatment for bloating. How long is the treatment and the dosage scheme?

Thanks

Default Re:Epsom Salt Treatment

1Tablespoon/ 10 gals should clear any blockage in 1-2 days that it is going to work on.\

Sounds like you need to use an antibiotic. something for internal probelms like kanacyn.

Did you treat this fish with anything prior to the bloat...maybe deworm? of treat for hex?

-al

I was under the impression that Epsom salt just raised the GH of the water and that something like Kosher salt was needed for stress relief etc. Is this not true Al?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Brad:
    Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) draws water into the intestine and produces softer stools. If constipation is causing the bloat, it may allow the discus to evacuate more easily. You are correct, it is also used to increase water hardness.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) is used to reduce stress, clean gills, etc.
    Carol

thanks for clearing that up Carol...now for the next question....

How is Rock Salt used as a med and if it is similar to Epsom and Regular Salt, how is it different in treatment?

Rock salt, table salt, kosher salt, pickling salt are basically the same. Rock salt is bigger chunks and may have more impurities.
    Carol

i've heard they are similar but rock salt relieves more blockage while kosher relieves a bit more stress than the other types. Any truth to this?

Not that I'm aware of.
    CArol

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

One thing that I learned from Jimmy L is when your fish are not eating add a little rock salt to the bottom of the tank. I noticed that they would pick at it and it gets their appitiete going. I also use it together with espom salts and it cleans them right out. I have tried this 3 times now and it has worked. Maybe you should drop Jimmy L a note for his opinion.

Jim

Registered Member

I side with Jim on this one. Once every few months I add rock salt that I get at Home Depot for water softeners and my Discus pick at it and eat the stuff. I don't have any bloating problems or any other skin infections on my Discus. But like Carol always say's clean water equals very happy Discus. So if your Discus are not getting at least a 50% water change twice a week expect problems in my opinon.
    George

Registered Member

very interesting
    I had a sea bass that picked at salt crystals at the bottom of the tank and it died the next day at age 1.5 yrs old :'(
    anyway maybe it o.d.?

how nuch do you use ? just a pinch? do you use kosher salt? it is more pure than rock salt.

for hunger strikes I use live artemia adults i get from a sea fish farm. maybe the salt gets them hungry due to osmotic changes in the insesteen? it works like a charm' they eat like pigs . i have 2 adult oriental leopard that didn't eat for 2 monthes at all! and they ate 350 grams each in 3 minuets! amazing i was shocked!

now you got me curious.... ??? 8)

Cobalt

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

I think that we should get hold of Jimmy L. He is full of knowledge on this stuff.

Jim

Registered Member

Hi Brad,

Until JimmyL shows up and give you a more accurate answer. If I have to guess, I say rock salt is similar to other type of salt. Only reason we used it is that is tend to last longer in the water and does not dissolved as quickly, thus giving the chance for our Discus to pick at it.

Thus by ingesting the salt, the salt can go to work much more quickly and effectively then by means of passing through the gills.

JMO.

Cheers,

Chi.