AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Keeping CBW alive...

Registered Member

Default Keeping CBW alive...

So far I have ordered CBW from Dan twice. The first time I ordered 1/2 LB and two worm keepers and my discus just LOVED me every time they saw the tray in my hand. Last week I ordered a pound and I've burned through half of it in about 6 days. I'm going to have to order again before Thanksgiving or run out and feed them flakes and frozen again. They are all still getting flakes and frozed but I give them worms more often.

My preference would be to buy 2 or 3 pounds if I thought I could keep them alive long enough so I can buy them maybe once a month. (My mom is willing to receive and rinse them for me but she doesn't appreciate it when I make her do it.)

Could I keep them in a couple larger tupperware type containers? and if so what is the best way to drain the old water out?

I would appreciate any ideas from people who like to keep lots of worms around. By the way, I have a small "Bar" refridgerator but it doesn't have any shelves so I'd like to use 2 or 3 larger containers instead of 6 or 8 smaller ones.

Thanks.

Dan

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Keeping CBW alive...

Read this thread. It has pictures of my worm container. I buy 1 1/2 or 2 lbs at a time.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=4492

Carol

Registered Member

Dan,

Certainly you could use a large tupperware container - just be sure not to overload it. An inch or so of worms on the bottom would be a max, I'd think.

Then you could always use a strainer to transfer them for water changes. I did this the first time I bought blackworms before I got a worm keeper.

John

I use rubbermaid shoe/storage boxes. about 8 inches by 12 inches or so. I can put about 1 lb of worms in each box. I rinse with a gallon of chilled water, per box about twice daily for the first 2 days, then once daily. Pour in about half the water, swirl the worms around a bit, let them settle then pour off whatever is floating in the water. Repeat, then put enough water in the box to just cover the worms. The lid that comes with the box is perfect. Keeps it covered but not so tight as to limit airflow. I can keep worms like this for at least two weeks, maybe longer. I usually run out by then, but the two week old worms still look pretty good.

Hi,
    I have a rubbermaid container, each day I drain the worms through the screen of a worm keeper and puor the worms back in the rubbermaid container with fresh , chilled dechlor water. Keep in the refrig for up to 2 months this way

hth
    Ardan