AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7-inch Blue Bulldog Discus at aquabid

Default Re:7-inch Blue Bulldog Discus at aquabid

Hi all,
    I don't see anything really wrong with what Anand did. He's free to post any kinds of posts on aqua bid he wants to. Like some of the others here, I know what his intent was, and can guess well enough who some of the targets were. everyone has there own way of doing things.

I personally have a serious problem with any name given to a discus that is not a true breeding strain. If I cross a wild green with a blue snake skin I call it a

wild green X blue snake skin

Its not an Amazonian Ultra Green Blue Devil . AS Hobbyist and breeders If we are selling what we breed we all have a responsibility to call these fish what they are, to randomly assign names for something bred ( whether it looks good or is a cull) is misleading and in my opinion wrong.

In the natural sciences there is a system of naming organisms that is used, called binomial nomenclature...aka genus and species.... then follows sub species. Common names do not matter. Why? prime example ... The north American Robin and the Robin of europe... same common names.... totally different birds.

In a perfect world, there would be an association that named the strains out there for discus, unfortunately theres not one so generally every tom , dick and harry that breeds theoir discus gives them names...thats all fine dandy and cool.....but not if you are selling them.

JMO,
    al

Ps... also IMO... there are very few "true" strains out there. as it takes generations to truly fix a strain. In Lab animals its often as many as 14 generations ... if your fish breed at 1 year... you had better plan on spending over a decade "fixing" that strain!

I grade Brew with a A+ LOL!

Registered Member

Hey Al,

Do you have any of the Amazonian Ultra Green Blue Devils left? I'm looking to spend $500 a fish and they sound especially cool!

John

Registered Member

good point al,

and as the guys in monty python explained,there are differences between the african and european swallows, too. ;D

denny

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Hey Denny I can't believe that I "came out" in a fish post.....Please don't tell my wife or kids I am sure it would be quite the surprise to them....LOL

Thanks for pointing my mouse clicking problems. I think I have it fixed now.

Thanks again -john

Hello Everyone,

Roger,

I wanted to let you know that I posted an auction for 8 wild type green x solid blue fry, with FREE delta dash shipping anywhere in the USA, starting at $100, and I got 2 bids, with Oscar getting them for $126. And, they are not junk discus, they are nice. So, starting an auction at a reasonable price, with free shipping, and an honest description, did not get any interest.

I was honest about the description, but maybe I should have put, "Exotic, green-blue, super sized fry." It seems that being honest does not get as much attention as being a sales-person.

As far as Anand and his auctions, I thought it really was funny, and maybe would get folks to examine these outrageous names. I pretty much agree with the way Dave C. stated it.

Jeff
    Oregon

Hi Jeff,
    Why Bother with Aquabid anyhow... just post what you for sale here, and you'll probably get more money and less hassels!

...Besides that I don't watch aquabid, and I might miss something I'd want!

take care,
    al

Brew,

I tried that! Got a question about my camera! LOL

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=2875

Jeff
    Oregon

Registered Member

Man this thead took off

Jeff I think I have enough faith in your auctions to say that price and description are accurate. I was in no way referring to you.

The original gripe is with the junk/joke posts, its like spamming people to complain about spammers. As it has been said, if you dont like it dont read it. Because of all the backlash that is the approach Ill be taking.

Peace
    Roger

DOAH!!!!! ;D

Guess I should read that section more closely, seems I missed the boat as usual. :

Suggestion to anyone with fry to sell , post in the for sale section, but feel free to put a post here in the general section that basically says ... Hey I have fry for sale ...check it out here..... and link to the forsale post that has all the details. I think most don't go there unless they are looking for something.... but ... most of the Discus nuts I know are impulse buyers ...hint hint.

oh and from a marketing point of view , make that post in the general section when theres a ton of people on line!

hth,
    al

Hmmmmmmm..... Somehow while I was walking somewhere between the time and space continuum something happened and I think deleted the account.... didn't have much time to surf, lately.... especially with that bulldog discus which came back and bit my a$$ off.... There are two sides to an issue.... perspective is totally personal..... I will never question ones choice... aquabid is a great site and mark is a wonderful guy..... Satires are usually scorned by some but welcomed by others..... I sell the fish I raise for 10 bucks a piece at 3-4 inches....... I don't believe my auctions degrade the site in itself. Common people it is one auction out of i don't know a few thousands, let the man have his fun....... I know I am pissing of many, Frankly, I don't give a damn, If I could make a couple of the new hobbists, think twice before they bite the bait and bid on an ANTIQUE MYSTICLE MUMBO JUMBO SWEET ANGEL STALLION, that will give you a 200% fertility rate on your spawns with identical twins for every single egg... I would consider my work rewarded....... I have seen some beautiful fish sold by cary and mike on aquabid as well no fancy names just quality discus..... many who visit here sell them as well.... do you ever consider with all the phony hyped names by a few con artists, these genuine sellers are being affected.......

Thanks for stirring this up john... will save a few leopards for you next time..... I mean, SERANGHETI SWIFT MOVING SPECKLE FACED red leopards..... Take care fellows..... have a little laugh with me or at me... either way it is good for you.... Have a great gobble... gobble... day fellows.....

EDIBILL----- lost your email so just let me know when you wanna stop by....

Anand, would every afternoon be too much? LOL...

Actually if you promise to do w/c while you are here, I will have no problem at all.... ;D ;D

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

No problem Anand. I was just stating my opinion. The 12 fish that I brought back from you are starting to bow to each other so I should have some pairs before long. Great looking fish.

-john

Registered Member

Denny, the only problem with your theory is that discus are non migratory!!
    Pierre

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast