ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips on growing plants and avoiding algae

Default Re:Answer to some algae questions...(long)

The only problem is finding a good source of potassium nitrate! Home Depot did have it at one time but they pulled it off the shelves. I dont think stump remove is sold in Canada anymore!

Ok Canadian folks! Found some KNO3!

http://www.hydroponics.com/info/aquatics/pmdd.htm

Any more sources?

Registered Member

Try Homegrown Hydroponics www.hydroponics.com. Ask for the PMDD 6 Pack, it's got everything you need to suppliment your plants.

Is it neccessary to buy the 6 pack? Some nutrients one does not need! Or?

I believe the 6 packs contains Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Sulphate, Potassium Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulphate, Trace, Ammonium Nitrate!

I would like to concentrate on the nitrates as my tank has 0 nitrates!! Phosphates come and go with water changes!

Registered Member

No, you can get the ingredients separately, although I'd highly recommend getting the Potassium Sulphate and Traces too as your plants need both of these to uptake Nitrate efficiently. Magnesium Sulfate is commonly sold as Epsom Salts are your local pharmacy and you don't need Calcium Nitrate or Ammonium Nitrate (The last could potentially ruin your plants and kill your fish).

Registered Member

Hi guy's

Yep I'm still a new be, however I have once had a nice tank...

Which I'll post a photo so you can see...

All was going really well, then I changed over to RO water, and the tank went down hill, there was not much a I could do since I had discus...

But I have a plant not many of you may have seen which I got growing very slow, I've not seen it for sale anywhere, and no it's not java most either, very close though...

I have that in a tank on it's own I believe that if you can pre plant you tank well 4+ months before you add your fish then you have a fighting start...

That's what I have found,

Wayne

Registered Member

Picture did not post for some reason...

Registered Member

Here's that moss I was on about

Any one know what it is as I've not seen it for sale anywhere...

May be I should sell cuttings lol...

What you think guys..

Wayne

Registered Member

I don't know what it is, but it looks really nice. I'll take some of those cuttings. ;D

Registered Member

It's very slow growing even with CO2

I hope to sell the cut's to help sponsor the hobby, ie, pay for the tank I put it in etc...

But it's taken me over a year to grow so...

Only expert hobbists I think...

It's like java moss but it's not same kind of size...

But as you say looks nice in any tank

Wayne

Registered Member

It looks like Fontinalis antipyretica, aka Willow Moss. It's growth habit is a little too horizontal for how I've seen Java Moss grow.

It could also be what's called Christmas moss. I can't find a specific name it, sorry. I'm inclined to say it's Fontinalis though, Christmas moss is much less common.

Registered Member

[quote author=Phil Edwards link=board=7;threadid=4888;start=0#msg50868 date=1038409498]
    Your plants make good indicators of K, Fe, and Trace levels.
    [/quote]

Can you elaborate? Is there a specific indicator to look for that can tell me about K?

I read that leaved going from green to yellow to transparent is an indicator of low trace elements, do you concur?

[quote author=Phil Edwards link=board=7;threadid=4888;start=0#msg50868 date=1038409498]
    PS: I REALLY like Cladophora algae, it's the green velvety stuff that forms most often on wood, its gorgeous! I dont' mind algae on wood, rocks, and glass. As long as it stays away from my water column and plants I'm happy.
    [/quote]

I haven't seen any of this- do you think your particular water conditions might favor it over other species? If so, what are they-- I'd prefer that type too. (-:

Registered Member

Default Re: Answer to some algae questions...(long)

[QUOTE=Biotypical]Ralph,

Even with a plant tank water changes are necessary although I got away with a lot in a crypt only tank. In my low light tanks I do 50% 1x/week. My high light tank (3.4w/g) is struggling with a Green Water epidemic so I do 50% changes 2x/week.

Phil,
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your wc's are probably what are causing your green water problems. Water, especially from the tap, often has hgh levels of CO2, which sounds good at first, but unfortunately algae is better able to use changing CO2 levels faster than "higher" plants. Unless you are actively aerating your wc water this will continue. Fortunately there is an easy solution. After a wc run either a UV or diatom filter on your tank for a day. What this does is remove the algae spores (well in the case of a UV filter it kills them). Since you brought up Tom Barr, you are familiar with his writings. He is where I learned this and it works like a charm. Not only do I never have green water, I no longer get any algae and used to get them all!
    Also your posts are very informative and substantually correct. I think though that most of the "pros" now no longer believe excess N or P to be the cause of algae, flucuating CO2 levels are. Of course, as has been already said, Discus are sensitive to these "pollutants" so we want to keep them low anyway.
    All in all I believe you have given us an excellant view of what it takes to grow plants with Discus.
    Thank you,
    Larry

Registered Member

[QUOTE=rdeis]Can you elaborate? Is there a specific indicator to look for that can tell me about K?

I read that leaved going from green to yellow to transparent is an indicator of low trace elements, do you concur?

You probably need K. If there are pin holes on the older leaves or young leaves are growing a bit twisted then it definately is too low potassium.

hth,
    Larry

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ronrca
    Is it neccessary to buy the 6 pack? Some nutrients one does not need! Or?

I believe the 6 packs contains Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Sulphate, Potassium Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulphate, Trace, Ammonium Nitrate!

I would like to concentrate on the nitrates as my tank has 0 nitrates!! Phosphates come and go with water changes!
    Try here
    http://www.gregwatson.com/
    You'll be able to get whatever fertilizers you need there
    Also be very careful about your NO3 (nitrate) dosing. Very often test kits, especially when even a little old, will show no NO3 when there are actually high levels. A better indicator is your plant growth.
    Last edited by lhforbes12; 04-25-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: Tips on growing plants and avoiding algae

I am running 130watts over my 90 gallon. (my other light 56 watts, is strobing. dunno why?)

I just added some plants from Larry, so today I have in pots with gravel and root tabs: 2 red temples, ludwigia peruenis, water sprite, 2 amazon swords, a melon sword, ludwigia replens, ozelot sword, moneywort, crypt wendtii, and 2 anubias nana on my driftwoods.

I have an inch of pebble size gravel as the substrate.
    My fish stock are in my signature.

I WC 3x wk 35%-40%. For the last two weeks I have been adding 1 cap prime, 1 cap Excel, 1 cap flourish, and 1 cap nitrogen.

THese last two days (before adding the sprite, amazons, moneywort and melon sword) I was getting green water and an egg size spot of green algae on my top glass. I did a 50% WC the first day with no ferts. The second day I did 95% Wc again no ferts. Then I added those extra plants.

So, am I right in assuming it was the excel or nitrogen that caused this? or was it the lesser lighting? (do I need a new bulb after 3 months?)

PH 7.8 temp 85 ammonia 0 nitrIte 0 nitrAte 0 (tho now I doubt the test is right) Phosphorus 1.0 KH 9 GH 6

Please help?
    Marilyn

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast