AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? tubifex worms

Registered Member

Default ??? tubifex worms

are they good discus food. if so for what size of fish? also wondering about glass worms? would there be any difference frozen vs. live? it seems most people feed frozen blood worms or live black worms.

thanks

midnight1

Registered Member

Default Re: ??? tubifex worms

Bad stuff Midnight! You may as well just urinate in the tank, dump in a bottle of bleach andbe done with it! Frank uke:

Registered Member

Hi Midnight,

Tubifex worms are a terrible live source of food for your Discus. Apparently they are cultured/found in very unsanitary conditions. And feeding them might introduced parasites and other nasties into your tank.

I would stay away from them. If you like them, perhaps you can try the freezed dried version? I think this should be saved since it has gone through a cleaning process. Perhaps someone can comment more about this.

Live Blackworms seem to be the live food of choice for Discus. Ofcourse there are those that won't feed their fish that stuffs, read the post and you will see the different views about this. But one thing is for sure, Clean Live Blackworm is a better alternative over live Tubifex worms.

Only reason I feed my fish frozen Bloodworms is that I can't find live food source locally and ordering online is currently too expensive for my taste. Perhaps down the road I will give it a try.

I believe live food source is better for fishes since they still retain all the proteins, minerals, vitamins while the frozen version might loose some of these during the cleaning and freezing process. JMO.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

haha Frank, just saw your post. Thanks for being so politically correct and subtle ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

what about Hikari's frozen tubifex worms - they say they purify them just like the rest of their frozen food???

i get the drift that live is no option here - thanks.

also - glass worms (a different type of mosquito larvea (sp?) from blood worms)

Registered Member

Crapola! Frank

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Live California Black Worms and live red wigglers are two you can safely feed IF you purchase them from a reputable source.
    Carol

glassworms are mosquito larvae.
    Don't know how good they are nutrionally, but my fish like 'em. Never tried live glassworms, only frozen.
    HTH ;D
    Lynn

Nope,
    2 different organisms.

Registered Member

Bloodworms are mosquito larvea, or something closely related to them, midge or something. Can't remember. Head hurts! I'm with Frank. Pee and bleach! White worms are pretty good, you can culture them yourself. I'd post an addy here, but I havn't got one. Sorry.

Registered Member

Raise Redworms my Discus fight over tehm like you wouldn't believe. I seen them pull them out of each other mouth for them.
    George

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

George : Where do you get red worms. I would like to try them.

Jim

Glassworms are commonly sold frozen as mosquito larvae.
    They are also known as white mosquito larvae(larvae of phantom midges). They are very very closely related the tradi
    tional mosquito that bites for blood.

The mosquitoes that bite for blood are known as black mosquito larvae. They are only available if you grow your own

Bloodworms are the larvae of a non-biting midge, and are occasionally called red mosquito larvae, but not really related to mosquitoes. They are bigger than white and black and live their larval stage burrowing under the mud surface and creating tubes and tunnels.

So all three are different bugs, all three make good fish food!! ;D
    HTH ;D
    Lynn

There's lots of pretty discus raised on live tubifex worms in countries other than the USA.
    I've tried the hikari tubifex worms. I feel they're probably safe, but they don't seem to hold up very well with freezing. Its not their best product IMO.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

When i was a teenager i used to collect tubifex from the stormwater drains in my local area and feed them to my fish daily, never noticed any disease problems with them. unfortunetly i can't say the same for the Aussie version of the blackworm. From my experience they are carriers of tapeworms and are an unacceptable risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast