ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: Which dry food granules is the best?!?!?!? What do you use and why???

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which dry food granules is the best?!?!?!?

Default Which dry food granules is the best?!?!?!?

Hello folks I was just wondering which of the four listed in the poll that you use the most and provides the max in nutriton. The reason why I ask is that there is now a choice as far as dry food granules is concerned and I want to buy the best that provides the best results for my discus. So please vote and say why. Also besides choosing the "BEST;D" can you also note what's the "WORST :-X".

Thanks.

A-

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Which dry food granules is the best?!?!?!?

I've only fed two of the four - color bits and Hikari. Hikari makes more of a mess.
    CArol

Registered Member

My fish will not eat any of the dry foods you have listed. I've tried them all but they just watch them float by with no interest. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make them eat dry food please let me know. Thanks

samcatj

Registered Member

I feed Color Bits and Spectrum. My fish always ignored spectrum but liked color bits so tonight I put both in at once and they ate everything. Don't know if they will still eat spectrum if there are no color bits to tease them with. My orange discus have a lot more red now with color bits for the last two weeks. Don't know if they would have gone more red anyway. I may withhold color bits to see if they go back orange.

Let me know if you get a firm opinion of what's best.

Thanks.

Dan

Registered Member

What is that vibra-gro crap even doing on this list. Tetra Bits are by far the best! Frank

Hikari Cichlid Complete is very good.
    Less messy than the Discus Red.

Registered Member

Don't use any of the above, I use Tetra prima. Little red sinkng granules. Fish love it.
    Samcatj, the best way to get Discus to a new food is to starve them for a day, then feed first thing in the morning what you want them to try. It works for me, the only thing my Discus never took a liking to ever was the mysis shrimp. Nothing else touches the bottom of the tank!! Oh and use foods that sink a little, Discus don't usually eat from the surface. HTH
    Ivan

Registered Member

I don't use any of those. My Discus and Angelfish eat BioKyowa and Haifeng foods.
    George

Registered Member

g'day

I mainly use SERA premium discus granules. They love them. They are of superior quality. However, i also use AZOO, and nutrafin stuff too. Do't know if SERA is big in USA but in Australia and Europe it's top choice!

Sam, to get your Discus onto granules, feed them granules and nothing else. Even if they haven't touched them after a week, they will eventually go for them!

James

Registered Member

I have been alternating the following pellets for the morning feeding:

Tetra Colorbits
    Azoo 9-1 discus blue/red (50/50 mix)
    Jehmco's better sinking bits
    Flake: mix equal parts of spirulina, earthworm and brine/krill

For the evening feeding (prior to water changes) I alternate:

live blackworms
    beefheart
    frozen mysids
    red wigglers

I probably will change to live CA BlkWorms everyday in the evening, and use beefheart and mysids as nonscheduled treats. Bloodworms (Hikari) and frozen brine will also be treats. Red wigglers will be part of the morning rotation.

I aggree with those who think Vibagro sucks, althought my community fish did eat what I had left when I borught it.

Cheers, Francisco.

Haifeng- not listed
    Tetrabits

Has anyone ever run out of Vibra-Grow?

Rich

Registered Member

I have tried a LOT of pelletized food over the years and settled on Colorbits years ago, long before discus, as a good basic staple pellet for discus. My Nicaraguan cichlids always ate it and it does a good job (for a pellet) keeping them colored up.

My discus like it, it's clean and easy to feed as a supplement.

John

Registered Member

OK. I couldn't decide. I bought one container of each Azoo (red and blue) a container of ColorBits and a container of Spectrum. Now I take some of each of the four and add them all to a parmasian cheese shaker and shake some into each tank. The discus get some of all four pellets at once and it all gets eaten.

OK so I'm a little compulsive. LOL

Dan

DHDiscusMan (DAN) so how are the Azoo pellets going for you??? I was thinking about picking up some for myself. Please let me know as I don't want to be buying crap. Also did you notice an intensified color change when using the Azoo pellets versus the Tetra Bits.

Thanks.

A- ;D

Registered Member

Yesterday was the first day with Azoo and as I said they are all in the shaker together with color bits so I won't know what caused which change. If you're going to Jeff's on Sunday let me know and I'll bring you some Azoo to try. They come in a huge container anyway.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast