AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Live foods other than CBW?

Registered Member

Default Live foods other than CBW?

On AquaBid they have a section for live foods and several people are selling starter cultures (or other names) of lots of different worms and insects. I was wondering if anyone feeds their discus these which can be cultured rather than buying and refridgerating CBW.

I have bought CBW a couple times and am planning to again early next week. My fish really love them and seem to be growing quicker since I've been feeding them. I was just wondering if any of the less expensive options work well for discus.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Registered Member

Default Re:Live foods other than CBW?

Dan, I used to keep and feed White Worms, but they are a real hassle, and after my last batch went south, I got some from someone on AB. It turned out that he sent me 2 tablespoons of dirt with about a dozen worms. Stick with the CBW's! Frank

Registered Member

I raise a lot of "white worms"
    They are +- 80% fat and that is good for breeders due to the metabolic stress the egg producing females are having.

they are cheap look up any site on live foods
    Cobalt

Dan,

White worms are a good food, but like Frank said, they are a PITA. You cannot feed generous helpings daily like CBW.
    Other live food option would be earthworms.
    HTH ;D
    Lynn

Registered Member

Yeah, I keep hearing about these red wiggler worms. I gotta try some. Igot one batch about 4 months ago, but they escaped the box they came in and were all over my basement floor. Needless to say, my wife made short work of them. they just seemed so big- too big for the smaller Discus mouth I thought! Frank

Registered Member

Red worms are definitely a great food for discus! Mine like them and they seem to help with growth and color. They are easy to culture, but avoid my mistake, which was keeping them too moist, or they make a break for it...

John

Registered Member

Hey Dan;

I have fed red wigglers before and the Discus seem to like them. I have never tried CBWs yet but may do so soon; I have a LFS that sells that brand. I have just tried Live Brine Shrimp the other day and the Discus seem to like the "hunt" but they are not cheap and do not have much nutritional value to them.

Regards, Lester