AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bulldog Discus.

Default Bulldog Discus.

What do you think of the future of Bulldog discus?. I have a breeder freind in Asia who is collecting and breeding them. I found 8 in one of my brood. I have to decide to either keep them or send them to my breeder freind. What do you think? Actually, they are good looking fish with extremely high dorsal fin, shape like an egg where the height is twice as long as the length of the fish. I like the drooping chin too.

Jimmy.

Default Re:Bulldog Discus.

ok..i really want to see this so-called bulldog discus.
    take a pic...jimmy...

April:My daughter loan my camera to my niece. I'll have it back this weekend. I'll post on Sat. evening. They're good looking fish. Somewhat different. Not like the butterfly. Good sturdy muscular body and very strong chin and head. I usually get a few on each brood. I usually cull them untill my friend told me to save them for him. They are hard to find from a good bloodline.
    Jimmy.

I didn't check Anand's thread before I post this. I thought the bulldog finally show his face to the discus world. In that case. I'll keep it until he's ready. April, you 'll get my e-mail.End of this thread.
    Jimmy.

You wouldn't be talking about fish with sunken and buldged lower gill plate by any chance would you...... bad pic.. but they won't cooperate..... this fish 3 years old, hasn't shown any sign of reproduction yet..... Sold to me as red diamond snakeskin....... In my opinion it is a cull, but I just couldn't throw this fish away after paying 120 bucks.....

Registered Member

Where did you purchase it from. I'm surprised someone would sell that to someone.

Registered Member

I just purchased five of these from Tim @ USdiscus. "The origin of the bulldog is a malaysian bred fish that was mated with 4th generation Degen Turq. and 8 th generation Colbalt." I like the way they looked with the high body and fins. I will let you all know how they look on Tuesday!

Registered Member

sorry, It just reminds me of the "parrot" fish too much.

Drew,
    the fish came from DIscus Hawaii... not sure who the actual breeder was.... It was hardly noticeable when I got it, so I wouldn't blame it on the seller... However it start to get pronounced with age..... I am not sure if this is a the same one the new bulldog crap that is floating around......

4th gen degan-8th gen cobalt..... you get a bunch of good turq(variable blue colorations) and cobalts, as they are both fixed strains chances are you get 50/ 50 of each and maybe some throw backs.... definitely not a new strain.... I ******** soo much myself... but, these guys make me look like a toddler.... if the body is higher than normal (normal to me is what wilds look like) it is high body... if the fins a larger than normal, high fins.... but there is no bull dogs, cocker spaniel or sharpei in any of these... seem to me like just another fancy name to con people.........

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...amp;1038834902

Here is the auction from usdiscus, these are perfectly good fish nice body and nice shape.... I don't see high fins, but maybe a high-body type.... Nice turqs more of the cobalt color in the line... breeder price at 3.5, good breeder will sell it for $25 maybe $30 bucks, asian market price $5-$8 bucks.... current starting bid $22.... reserve not yet met... so you see where I am going... they punch in a new name and expect someone to pay for it, I understand it is a difficult buisness to be in, but there are a few who do their clients right, inspite of their difficulty. I am just voicing my opinion, and ofcourse others are entitled to theirs.......

Registered Member

I know exactly what you mean. I came back from a long break from the hobby and i think before I left people were improving a lot of Wattley strains but that was it. Now even the "real" strains are hard to follow, snow flake, sunshines, china dolls, etc Its hard to keep up with all these guys. I'm learning but dang if its yellow its yellow, if its red its red. Too many flashy names.

Have a good Holiday everybody

andrew

Well i don't have a Bulldog,but how about a Blue Knight!!!

Take care and have a nice Thanksgiving

Danny
    www.discusfantasy.com

I think i will stick to the blue knight!! nice fishies danny. you have those at your house? do they breed? is that why their staring at that pipe?
    maybe some would like to live here in vancouver!!