AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: When buying discus on the web,Lfs,Etc. Does it really matter to You! about the quality your after??

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 68 100.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does quality Really Matter in a Discus?

Registered Member

Default Re:Does quality Really Matter in a Discus?

Hey Oscar I'll take 'em leopards from you! I'll consider them early christmas presents.

Registered Member

QUALITY = HEALTH + SHAPE + GENE

Before I started reading this forum I was unsure about a quality fish. Thanks to all of you I have learned a few things about Discus and at least know bad quality when I see one.

As part of getting quality fish I would loved to have had a GENE history with photos of the parents of the fish I am getting. Does anyone actually provide lineage info on fish they sell?

One of the 75% of newbies learning one fish at a time ;D

Registered Member

I've got a long way to go before I really know what I am doing with Discus. One thing I have learned is that you are for the most part brutally honest about how you feel when asked. There is no better way for us to learn than from that. Thanks!

Registered Member

Hey cary nice of you to think this up. also i will be calling you soon for one of your grab bag. One thing i learned so far in this hobby is you get what you pay for. ;D

Registered Member

Not to be negative Blueknight :, but one thing I have learned in this hobby recently is there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there, and you do not always get what you pay for! Frank

Registered Member

Quality, quality, quality or is it location location location :P For myself I'm limited to space and extra funds for discus so quality is very important. I just don't want good qualtiy I want exceptional quality something the big breeder would use for his own breeding program. They take a lot of time and some money to raise why waste your resources on less than perfect fish. Of course I would have a hard time destroying culls I have soft heart for most things. I guess I'll worry about that when I come to it ;D

To add to this thread--All is not what it seems!

Many unscrupulous breeders --exporters--as well as importers have not truthfully labeled the fish. I have seen discus called leopards that were merely red turquoise---not even good turquoise at that! Spotted--line fish That is basically a broken line and not spotted at all! True leopards should be spotted somewhat at 2--2 1/2" but more spots should come later. The same with leopard snakeskin. The spots first appear at the dorsal, anal and caudal areas and converge to fill out the body.
    Although it seems the spotted varieties are not as large as other variants, I have personally grown leopards, leopard snakes, and others to 6-7". I entered a 6 1/2" Oriental Dream X Golden Anaconda in the Duisburg show. however it did not fare well as the coloration was not show worthy until after the judging. I did however sell the fish there for $800 USD --apparently the strain was not that weak!
    I also have some that hadn't panned out --but this has occurred with other strains as well. I feel with some insightful selective breeding, the turquoise will once again reign. The Giant Flora has alot of potential to improve the turquoise aswell as other existing veterans. Joe

Registered Member

Drew You hit it right on the head, Most of us are in that same boat, not enought funds and limited space and we cannot afford to have less than ethical breeders send us bad fish at rediculous prices. Some of these folks just want to make as much money on a single fish as possible. How many of us would pay 800.00 dollars for a single fish of any type. Not many and why would you, what kind of return are you going to get, great babies maybe maybe not. Who would take that kind of risk with the limited knowledge that we have concerning discus genetics. Great for those who can find the kind of person who would but not I. Ill buy the ten babies at a good price and see what comes.
    Oscar

in the old days, when I didn't know what quality meant, I didn't pay attention, but since I have learned many things from Cary and the good folks on this site, I have learned to look at quality and health in a new light. It is very important now and I know at least some of the things to look for.

Getting the fish from a "quality breeder" assures me that they will be certain of the health and quality and I don't have to worry too much.

So I say thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone! 8)

Ardan

Oscar, The fish is young--1yr old. It is definitely show quality. Discus peak at 2 yrs. old as far as international competition goes. This discus was still developing in size as well as coloration and deportment. After showing the fish after two yrs., then one could consider breeding.
    France, germany, belgium, China, Taiwan. Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lampur, Germany and other countries have annual competitions. The prize money in Duisburg is as follows: Grand Champion--$5000 USD, First place in each category--$1000, Second Place--$500, Third Place--$250. The reason to pay a large amount of money---- the gentleman surely wanted the fish more than I --as it was his offer, Is to try to recoup the investment by placing in a competition---same as why people overpay for any show animal.

Regards, Joe

Registered Member

When I deceided to purchase new discus stock it took a lot of looking, talking, hair pulling. This site was invalualable, helping me deceide what strain I wanted and from who I would purchase.

however, you have brought up an excellant point; ex: the local fish shops want " cheap " discus to buy, so they can make a larger profit. I have seen customers buy a fish cause it look "nice"; they do not care about all the time and work that went into breeding, raising, feeding, changing diapers, burbing, sitting up long hours just to make sure they are O.K..
    Ethic's and personal satisfaction is my guide. Without conviction, well, I may as well raise feeder goldfish.

smokey
    Dedicated to the discus. period..

Smokey,

Your last 2 sentences said it all!!!!
    Hard work,conviction,dedication is what shows up in quality discus. Instantaneous gratification does not cut it in the discus world.

Hay Cary am I missing something here? This statement was made by you in this thred. Quot: I said this before and I'll say it again there is something wrong with every imported discus for the most part.
    Even if its mild like a broken bar Or Much worst like internal damage. You also agree in another post that your not sure were your spotted discus come from. WHY NOT?

Are you willing to hurt your name and at the same time fill your exporters pocket with cash?

TakeCare,
    Cary Gld! One question Cary don't you import fish also?? Just trying to figure out where your coming from????

One Word CARY..... HELLYA!!!!!

Registered Member

Quality is the way..but for beginners I suggest u get the lower grade fishes just to try out keeping them..at the end of the day you do not want to kill a quality A grade discus that cost you tons of $$$ with 1 stupid mistake u make. Just my 2 cents.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast