ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White Spots

Registered Member

Default White Spots

hi,
    I have a small problem with 6 of my breeding stock discus. About 4 of them have one or two small white spots on the fins, and only on the fins. The spots are about 1-1.5 mm in diameter. The fish are acting normal, as a matter of fact two of them just laid eggs yesterday. So, i think that the spots are some type of fungus ???. I have first noticed the spots about a week or so ago. I put in some salt to see if that did anything and it helped a little, but not much. The spots came back to normal size and are driving me crazy trying to find out what they are!!! So, i need your guys(and gals) help with diagnosing my fish and recommend a treatment. I can try to post a picture of one of the spots, but my digi cam battery is dead, so i should have some pics up within a few days. Thanks

-Ryan

Default Re:White Spots

Hi,
    You can try salt at 1 tblsp/ gal. If it gets worse, then it could be bacterial and need antibiotic or Melafix + salt.
    Sometimes higher heat will help (90F), sometimes it makes it worse (keep close eye)
    Also wc 50%/day.

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

Hi, there ,i used to get a similar problem,mine would get the spots mainly on the tail fins and none on the body.I tried many ways to clear the problem but never could.Are the fish showing any other signs of ill health ? Alsbeth

Registered Member

Kinda sounds like ick to me. The salt + Heat should do the trick...

Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for the help. We talked to Gabe at Wattley's. Florida has a problem with water lice in city water. Gabe thinks it's a secondary bacterial infection due to lice attacks on the fish. Since the fish just laid eggs, we were reluctant to use salt. However, their first batch of eggs didn't make it. So, now we will use salt and elevated temp. We had 2 young adult pairs lay eggs this week in our 180 tank a day apart. Neither batch survived. 1st pair's eggs fungused over. 2nd pair's were eaten by female. Now we can separate into breeder tanks, treat , and get on with business. Thanks so much for everyone's help. You guys are the greatest! ;D ;D

sodium will not hurt discus eggs.

Also if sodium is the only conductivity in your water you can breed at 300mS or higher.

Cary Gld!

Registered Member

thanks Cary for the info. I have now put both pairs into breeder tanks and they are doing much better now. hopefully I should start to see them laying eggs soon. anyone want some Wattley blue turks in about 2-3 month's.....lol. Anyway, thank you for all your help and i will be back for more help im sure. thanks again

-Ryan